Author Topic: how do you find a decent site to stay in?  (Read 25807 times)

Joel Weiss

Re: how do you find a decent site to stay in?
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2011, 09:43:41 PM »
Quote from: Gerald Farris
Joel,
I agree with you, that the KOA in Salt Lake City is a great park if you want to see the Temple Square area. The last time I was in Salt Lake City, it was the only reasonable place to stay, so I spent several days there. However it is the exception. Most KOA parks with that good of a location, and no competition in the immediate area will be twice as high in price. Part of the high cost in KOA parks is from the high franchise fees that they have to pay to the national headquarters, mostly for advertising, but some of it covers the reservation system cost.

Gerald

Gerald--
I don't disagree with your statement, I was simply pointing out that people shouldn't condemn a "brand" on the basis of average prices. Each location has its own pluses and minuses.  We recently stayed at a >$60 KOA near West Chester PA; try finding any CG in the Philly/Wilmington area and you'll understand why it was expensive.  

As much as I dislike high prices, I'm a committed capitalist; if you have a commodity for sale you should be able to charge whatever the market values the commodity at.  If you price it too high, it won't sell; if it sells then the price must have been a fair one.  If a KOA or any other CG has no competition in an area it can charge whatever it wants and the buyer can decide whether or not to buy.  We paid $35 for a KOA in Laramie a couple of months ago.  The place was barely worth $20 from an ambiance standpoint, but there wasn't any other place to stay and we don't like Walmarting if we can avoid it.  
Joel

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2011, 10:27:14 PM »
One other thing about KOA, that bugs me are the hidden cost like in Seattle if you want a 50 amp service add 10.00 of if you have a dog add 5.00 on top of a 70.00 camp fee. I am sure that some KOA parks are great but I tend to avoid. In my experience they are often not up to date.
I use RV Park review and the Big Rig book. I write very detailed reviews on every park we visit good and bad will always be posted. You do need to read the reviews for problems.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Joel Weiss

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2011, 11:06:54 PM »
Quote from: Jerry Carr
One other thing about KOA, that bugs me are the hidden cost like in Seattle if you want a 50 amp service add 10.00  

If you make your reservation online you are usually given the choice between 50A and 30A sites with the prices clearly stated.  Many CG's charge more for their "premium" 50A  sites, especially if they have only a limited number of them.

Jerry Pattison

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2011, 04:36:18 AM »
Also use Big Rigs Best Bets in conjunction with the other publications!!