Author Topic: MH Insurance  (Read 24140 times)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: MH Insurance
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2014, 02:32:40 AM »
I'd stayed with GMAC for years, mostly because of the liability suspension feature that saves hundreds each year.

But then I had a claim.  Though Overland didn't have a comparable policy that saved money via seasonal suspension, Ron Jarvie outbid other independent agencies on the next best thing, and we ended up with Allied.  Yeah, it's more money overall because I can't suspend liability while the rig is parked, but al least if I have a claim the word is that I won't have the same ridiculous hassle I experienced with GMAC.

If you spend some time to talk with Ron himself, you'll be glad you did.  He'll tell it straight if you explain your Hartford quote... there may be a good reason for the difference, and he will give you an honest analysis, including if Hartford is indeed better for you.

Joel

Addendum:
Actually I had 2 claims with GMAC.  The one for the windshield chip took 6 months to get a $35 check on.  The one for the scratch repair and paint at BCS in Bend also took some doing to get.  Then after I told them to send the proceeds to BCS, they sent the check to my house which I wasn't in at the time since, as I'd explained to the GMAC adjustor, we would be on the road for 6 months.  After awhile Ken at BCS advised me he hadn't received anything from the insurance company, and I had my daughter go to the house and check the mail... where she found the check.  The really dumb part is that the adjustor had specifically asked me if she should send the check directly to BCS.  Aaarrrggghhh.  Then I understood why Ken's face had gone from his usual  :P to  ??) when we first took the coach in and I told him which insurance we had.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 12:12:20 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2014, 10:56:49 PM »
I received an insurance quote yesterday through the RV America Insurance website.  The insurance quotation document is headed "Blue Sky RV Insurance Quote Summary," the agent is "RV America" with a Simi Valley, CA address, and near the top of the first page it says "Company Providing Quote:  RLI Insurance Company."

Anyone heard of any of these companies?  Any references from your experience with any of them?  The quote was actually a pretty good prive - less than the Hartford-AARP quote - and this with coverage limits of $100k/$300k for bodily injury, $50k for property damage, $50k uninsured motorist property damage, $25k vacation liability, $1k deductible comp & coll, etc.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Dan Murphy

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2014, 01:03:15 AM »
David
I don't know your financial situation and what you need to protect but I will tell you that Bodily Injury limits of 100/300k are not very high and often inadequate to protect the assets of many people. And a limit of 50k on property damage is crazy. What if you cause a 3 car chain reaction accident that involves a couple of Caddilacs and a Corvette??
Same with the 25k vacation liability what if you run over a neurosurgeon out riding his bike in the CG do you think his wife might want more than 25k??

You may want to consider much higher limits of liability. I use Auto-Owners Insurance out of Lansing Mi and I carry a limit Of $1million combined limit of liability. Also make sure to ask what the difference is between the 1000 ded and 500 a sometimes the savings is not worth the risk.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2014, 03:09:38 AM »
What a coincidence. Today, while traveling through construction in North Dakota, an oncoming truck spun a rock and hit our windshield about 2 inches above the bottom, just a bit off center on the driver's side. The mark is like a spider web about the size of a half dollar or slightly larger, and did not make a hole all the way through the glass. I called State Farm where we have house, cars, and Beaver insured. It was late, so our agent was closed. We are in Glasgow MT. The claims people said my normal $1000 deductible applies, even though its a windshield. I have been under the impression, by seeing related stories on a number of RV forums, that windshield replacement is not subject to deductible on a motor home. I am waiting to talk to our agent on Monday. I wonder if any one has a comment on my supposition?

Safe travels all,

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2014, 07:07:27 AM »
One reason we left State Farm, at least in the diesel motorhome area, is on our own SFarm agent's advice.  He knew the company isn't really into that coverage and when we went from gas to diesel he felt we should go elsewhere even though he could have sold us the policy.  He's been my agent for nearly everything for about 40 years and looks out for our best interests.

Windshields on big rig policies I've seen are commonly exempt from the deductible, but it can vary I think, and it wouldn't surprise me if State Farm's policies are not exempt;  they just don't feel the need to compete in that specific market.  In our case the coverage was less and the cost much more than other companies' quotes.

As to your damage, a similar chip in ours cost $35 for a glass repair outfit to resin-fill.

Joel
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 07:20:23 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Dan Murphy

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2014, 02:15:14 PM »
Stan
Yes you most likely will have a deductible on any Comprehensive loss which includes glass. Some carriers allow you to buy back the glass coverage for a slightly higher premium. But, unless you have a seperate and different glass deductible then whatever your Comprehensive deduct is on the policy will apply.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2014, 08:49:37 PM »
Stan, if I were you and found out what I think you're going to find out Monday, I'd call Overland Insurance Agency and drop the State Farm policy.  Then since they are all over the country, I'd look up an RV Glass Solutions outlet next along my route and make an appointment.  They may even come to your campsite, and they are a BAC sponsor so you may get a discount.  You need the chip resin filled before too many miles of road vibration aggravates it;  I went a few hundred miles with mine, but was getting concerned by the time I found a glass shop in on the Canadian prairie.

BTW - my SFarm agent's office is open Saturday mornings, as I think many are.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat