Author Topic: Automatic water fill shut off  (Read 6536 times)

Bruce Benson

Automatic water fill shut off
« on: June 14, 2009, 04:43:55 AM »
On our 2001 Marquis the water tank is filled by pressure from the city supply.  We simply turn on a fill switch, the tank fills, the valve automatically closes and we try to remember to shut the switch back off.  We also have a separate gage that weighs the pressure of the water in the tank and shows on the coach information panel the gallons in the tank.  

Recently, the shut off is occurring much before the gage reads full.  I know that the sensor for the gage is a weak link and have replaced it once in the past.  I also know that I can recalibrate the system and perhaps get the gage to read correctly.  I am not in a good position now to drain, fill, empty and measure to really trouble shoot and recalibrate if necessary.  

What would be very helpful to me at this point would be to know how the shut off switch works.  Is it a simple float switch like the toilet shut off on the black tank?  Can it shut the water off prematurely when the coach is level?  If it is just a short stroke float switch then when it works, it should always work fairly accurately.  Just wondered if anyone has seen it or might know how it functions.  
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 08:13:58 AM by 275 »

Gerald Farris

Re: Automatic water fill shut off
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 05:58:01 PM »
The auto-fill shut off consists of a sensor in the tank (in my 2000 it's two probes that complete a circuit when water touches both probes) and an electric solenoid controlled valve. The normally closed valve (that should be located in the compartment with your water pump) will open when power is applied to the solenoid and close when power is interupted by the sensor circuit.  

The problem of the valve closing before the gauge reads full could be caused by an unlevel coach or improper gauge calibration.

Gerald

Bruce Benson

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 06:15:21 PM »
Ah, so based on your description the fill switch should be the ultimate resource for accuracy as far as a level and full tank.  That helps with the peace of mind when we are dry camping, needing to on-load as much water as possible and dealing with an indication of a partial fill.  

As of this morning, the gage seems to have adjusted up 40 gallons, so now I think that it will show full when we refill it.  

We seem to have a lions share of little come and go electrical gremlins in this coach.  We tolerate them but wish they would go away!

Bruce

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 06:07:40 PM »
Our 2001 Marquis started showing 20 gallons less than than full.  This condition lasted a few hours, then reverted to full again.  Peridocally it will indicate 20 gals. low, but it corrects later.  We check the level regularly now and adjust 20 gals if it seems low.  If you locate the solution to this problem of the fluctuating reading, please post it.

Larry