Author Topic: Removing Backup Camera  (Read 13596 times)

Dick Simonis

Removing Backup Camera
« on: December 16, 2011, 04:56:45 PM »
I starting to work on my erratic backup system and can see that the flip down monitor is fairly easy to remove but the camera itself may be question.  I do have an access panel in the top center of the closet which is probably how to get at it.  Question though, if I do need to remove and replace the camera....how does it come out and what is the best way to reseal it.

The system is a flexvision.

Dick

Gerald Farris

Re: Removing Backup Camera
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 06:05:42 PM »
Dick,
Everything is accessible from the removable panel in the top center of your rear closet. There should be no resealing necessary because the glass that you see on the outside of the coach is not part of the camera. The only real problem that you could have is that if the cabling between the camera and monitor is damaged or defective, it is not accessible, so a different routing will be necessary unless a repair can be made at the end of the cable.

Gerald  

Phil N Barb Rodriguez

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 06:23:16 PM »
Hello,

I had my camera replaced at the Bend Service Center several years ago. They told me there was no replacement like the one that was installed. So they found a different camera type to replace the one I had. It works ok, kinda. They had to modify the wiring/connection for the replacement. The down side, they didn't seal the area around the camera so the camera is useless at nght. The light the camera provides for night vision is not effective with the camera area not sealed around its mount.

I called the Bend center when I returned home. They told me I should get used to not using the camera at night! I found that kind of offensive instead of them offering to do something about it the next time we were through there. It's my business the way I use the backup camera and I found it very handy to be able to see what is going on behind me...all the time.

So, when you find a replacement make sure to seal the camera area. I still need to seal mine. Hasn't been a priority since I haven't driven at night for quite a while.

You will likey have to modify the mount because it will probably be a different type of camera.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 06:59:52 PM »
Thanks for the input.

As far as the infrared goes, I don't quite get what differance sealing it would make.  Anyway sort of a moot point since I avoid driving at night.

However, with that said I would be interested to know why it would need to be sealed since the outside seem to be a one piece unit.

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 07:32:02 PM »
On my 2002 Thunder I had to run a bead of silicone around the edge of it after I had Weldex check it out. The mounting screws were on the inside but the camera sits in a cut out of the rear fiberglass endcap. Marty

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 09:12:21 PM »
Dick,
I think that Phil is referring to sealing out unwanted light at night that degrades is night vision.

Gerald

Dick Simonis

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 10:53:43 PM »
OK, where would this unwanted light come from?  Wouldn't it have to be external to the coach as anything internal is behide the closet wall?  I can see headlight, streetlights and etc pretty much causing the IR camera to be useless.

Phil N Barb Rodriguez

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 12:48:43 AM »
It's actuaaly not unwanted light. The camera isn't mounted close enough to the rear glass area for the camera to work properly at night. The camera must be IR or a low enough LUX number to work effectively at night. I beleive the bottom line problem with mine is that they didn't mount it properly. It needs to be closer to the rear glass area. (you can see your camera from outside looking up at the glass area) and the area around the camera should be sealed.

Mine is mounted so far from the glass area that you can see the hole the camera should actually be fitted through. It's too far back for the IR/low LUX to be effective. In the day time you can actually see the hole the camera should be mounted in on the screen.

The take away here should be that a replacement camera more than likely won't fit the mount of the original camera. So make sure any replacement is mounted so the camera lense area is completely through the mounting hole for the night vision to work properly.

And yes, the wood plate you see inside your closet or cabinet is the access to the camera. Take it off and take a look at how the camera is mounted, and make sure a new one will fit properly. They had to "modify" the area in ours to get the only camera they had to "fit" there.

Your description of the problem is exactly what I was experiencing. So. more than likely the problem is with the camera and not the monitor.

JimCasazze

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 02:24:39 PM »
check the forum for "backup camera problem'.  I found the origianl manufacturer and listed the information there.
Jim

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 06:22:15 AM »
Here is a source for a wireless camera that may work.  http://www.technorv.com/Swift_Hitch_Wireless_Backup_Camera_p/shtch-sh01.htm

Larry

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 02:01:05 PM »
We had an erratic problem with our back up camera and  pulled it and sent it to the factory and they could not find a problem. We cleaned the connection and resealed them and have not had a problem since.

Bill Borden

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 07:46:47 PM »
I have been having similar problems with my back up camera, the monitor displayed a green and blotchy view of the back of the coach you could barely make out the Dingy.

So when I started to check it out here is what I found out;

1. the connections were good, the camera and monitor works fine, but only when the camera is out of it's mount do I get a clear picture of anything I point at so I know it works.

2. But when I looked thru the glass lens, (or is it Plex-glass???), I can see scratches on the lens, (so I think it is plex-glass).

3. my conclusion is that the camera is focusing on the scratches not the view outside.

4. I then picked up a recommended plexi-glass scratch compound, the lens improved some.  But the scratches are still there, so the camera and monitor view has not changed.

5. Does anyone know if there is a coating on the lens on the outside?  The lens seems to have a optic quality of some sort.

6. has anyone replaced the lens?

I have to wait till Beaver in Bend is open after the first to call them, so if anyone can shed some light on this problem I would appreciate it.

Happy New Year!

Dick Simonis

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 11:21:30 PM »
Update.

Found out that acessing the camera was a piece of cake and, as was suggested, pulled the wires off and quickly found out that the sreen goes dead without the coax connected which was a bit of a surprise.  Reseated the connections and the screen came on crystal clear.

I'll keep an eye on it and if it starts to misbehave again, I'll try replacing the BNC connector.

Thanks for the feedback it was quite useful.

Dick

Dick Simonis

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 07:31:05 PM »
[quote author=]I have been having similar problems with my back up camera, the monitor displayed a green and blotchy view of the back of the coach you could barely make out the Dingy.

So when I started to check it out here is what I found out;

1. the connections were good, the camera and monitor works fine, but only when the camera is out of it's mount do I get a clear picture of anything I point at so I know it works.

2. But when I looked thru the glass lens, (or is it Plex-glass???), I can see scratches on the lens, (so I think it is plex-glass).

3. my conclusion is that the camera is focusing on the scratches not the view outside.

4. I then picked up a recommended plexi-glass scratch compound, the lens improved some.  But the scratches are still there, so the camera and monitor view has not changed.

5. Does anyone know if there is a coating on the lens on the outside?  The lens seems to have a optic quality of some sort.

6. has anyone replaced the lens?

I have to wait till Beaver in Bend is open after the first to call them, so if anyone can shed some light on this problem I would appreciate it.

Happy New Year!
[/quote]

Bill, I'm working on my camera and found similiar syptoms as you discribed.  When out of the bracket the view of the bedroom is perfectly clear but when it goes back into the bracket, it gets all fuzzy and flicker.

I'm going to pickup a new BNC connector and try that but was wondering if you had any success.

Dick

Bill Borden

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 04:48:10 PM »
I am still having issues with camera, I did replace the lenses, the plexiglass had silicon left on it from the original installation and scratches.

But when the camera is set back in its mount it displays the same as you are discribing. But in my case the video has improved somewhat but it is still poor.

I cannot find any reference to the camera on line. I am trying to re focus the camera and see if it clears up.

This is a very annoying problem.

Are you having any luck?

Bill