Author Topic: Aqua Hot Repair  (Read 3971 times)

David Fischer

Aqua Hot Repair
« on: December 18, 2011, 09:00:30 PM »
I have a 97 Marquis and when checking the anti freeze in the Aqua Hot I saw some on the floor.  So i opened it up and there was quite a lot on the floor.  I looked around and noticed a drop just below the middle pump on the copper manifold.  I felt all over and it seems that that is where the slow leak is.  
Question:  Is there a sealant that I could put on the pipe or should I take it in for an "expert" to repair it.  It is very easy to get to for me to do something.  Any help would be appreciated.
David
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 06:15:21 PM by 14 »

Edward Buker

Re: Aqua Hot Repair
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 12:59:55 AM »
There are a lot of places that these systems can leak and finding a drop of antifreeze on a the manifold vs a puddle on the ground may not equate to the leak you are looking for. It is not uncommon to have a drop of antifreeze seep near the valves at a joint or pumps without leaking enough to cause a problem.

I would fill the unit back up with antifreeze and heat and bring it up to temp,then run each zone and see of you can spot a more significant leaking source. Known likely sources, radiator cap with a poor seal, overflow pipe cracked near filler neck, filler neck solder joint to the tank, drain valve leaking when closed.

There are no joints where a sealant would work without taking a joint apart and sealing the treads properly with teflon tape or an appropriate sealant. Hopefully you can spot your leak and get it resolved. The filler neck pipe that goes to the expansion tank or radiator caps are easy fixes that you can do yourself. Other type leaks you will have to decide whether to hire a tech or swear a lot on your own...

Later Ed
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 08:23:25 PM by 910 »

LarryNCarolynShirk

Re: Aqua Hot Repair
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 06:14:40 PM »
I had  leak from a hole in a copper elbow near the bottom.  I was able to clamp off the hoses from and to the engine, and remove and replace the copper elbow.  I did not expect to see a hole in a copper elbow.  No problems since.

Larry