Author Topic: Shift selector keypad work around  (Read 4145 times)

Wayne Tull

Shift selector keypad work around
« on: December 14, 2011, 06:32:07 PM »
After parking the RV in October (Iowa), I went out yesterday to move it since the weather had warmed up to the  40's. However it would not go into drive or reverse. Since the transmission control module had been replaced last year and it had all work earlier, I placed a space heater so the remote keypad could be warmed. The keypad worked OK after being warmed up.  Now I can plan for the new keypad purchase.

Wayne Tull

Re: Shift selector keypad work around
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »
Okay, next steps. I talked to John at Transmission instruments (nice guy by the way) and will be following his instructions on cleaning the touch pad contacts as well as replacing a power supply capacitor that could wipe out the whole keypad circuit (5v going to 12v) if it fails. Something to think about if you have an older RV like mine.

Wayne Tull

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 06:52:32 PM »
I've disassembled the remote keypad and cleaned the contact area being careful not to damage the Display vacuum tube.  Now waiting for capacitor to be delivered from vendor (Digi-key).  Have pictures if there is any interest.  Of course the real test of this project will be if it works when cold.

Wayne Tull

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 05:34:09 PM »
Now for the project report out. The keypad now works at +40F, with a lighter touch of the keys than it did when it was in the +70's. Total cost less than $6 and one hour of time.