Author Topic: AquaHot Exhaust  (Read 26666 times)

Jeff Watt

AquaHot Exhaust
« on: December 23, 2011, 10:18:34 PM »
Not quite the exact same issue, but I am wondering about the availability of non-permanent upward extensions for the exhaust from the AquaHot and the genset. Camping world sells the Gen-turi Generator Exhaust System ....I am wondering if anyone has one of these or is there something else? I am asking since when we are parked next to someone the exhaust from the Aquahot can be spewing into the neighbours unit. The caveat being, I don't want to start drilling holes into the coach to mount brackets.

Gil_Johnson

Re: AquaHot Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 11:11:53 PM »
Jeff,

For your aquahot I wonder if it you wouldn't make sense to take a pipe with a gradual 90 degree bend and run it level with the coach and parallel with the ground such that it exits near the rear of the coach.  This would be a temporary set-up, like the genset one you reference.  Exiting out the back should be less offensive to your neighbors, unless you have someone really close behind.  I began to think about this when I was parked next to a unit that had his aquahot exhaust pointed directly at our coach and about in the center of our coach.  The smell was a bit overwhelming when we would exit our coach.  I also mondered it it wouldn't make sense to just run the permanent exhaust directly out the back of the coach.

Jeff Watt

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 11:31:35 PM »
Routing out the back makes a lot of sense and a non-permanent extension would be pretty easy to do vs. a vertical stack. A permanent run would be a bit more work and it may take an exhaust shop to fabricate the pipe so it clears everything. Besides possibly annoying neighbors, the fumes sometime emanate from the exhaust port and waft up into the bedroom window. Not sure if that is because the exhaust pipe is forward of the bedroom and when the bedroom slide is out, the exhaust rises up and around the bedroom slide.

Thanks for the suggestion - sometimes the obvious solution doesn't readily present itself when one gets focused on what appears to be the best approach.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 12:28:42 AM »
Friends of our with a Newmar London Aire was showing us their aqua-hot exhaust and it comes out on the right side of the coach...it doesn't annoy neigbors or drift up into the slide area.  On the other hand, they don't like the noise on the patio so they don't run it when they are outside.

Just saying, that would be pretty easy.  I guess you could make the arguement that if it's cold enough to need the heat, it's to cold to sit outside.

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 12:50:35 AM »
You may want to as the opinion of the device manufacturer.

Larry

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 01:08:14 AM »
My Contessa exits just in front of the road side rear wheels.  I can see it entering the windows of the front or rear slide.  Thankfully, I haven't had to use it when dry camping.  If I did, I suppose I'd turn it off at night if it's warm enough, to keep the windows open.  I only use mine in diesel burn mode when it's really cold and the heat pumps won't work, or when driving when it's really cold.  Thankfully, I haven't camped too many times when it's really cold.  After learning from another member that the engine (when running) heats the water in the Aqua Hot, I probably will not be using it in diesel burn mode when driving anymore.

It's always good to check with the manufacturer before modifying something attached to their system.  Worse case would be that the run to the rear of the coach may be longer than allowed, with the diameter pipe used.  I suspect you would then have to use a pipe with a slightly larger diameter.  I'm betting the total length of pipe won't be much longer.  My coach's exhaust begins at the Aqua Hot mounted on the curb side next to the fuel tank, and then runs straight back, makes a 90 degree turn, and runs across the coach to exit on the road side, just in front of the rear axles.  If the run out the back is parallel with the side of the coach, I'm betting the length isn't much different than the run today.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 06:34:07 PM by 14 »

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 04:15:50 AM »
Bill Sprague, Jay Todd and I all use a Gen-Turi for our gens and our Aqua/Hydro-Hot exhaust. Jay and I both use suction cups to hold ours instead of drilling holes. If you were to park at a NASCAR event they are required on a genny due to deaths. It's just the right thing to do for your neighbor if you have an Aqua/Hydro-Hot because they more than likely exhaust right near his front entry. Just think, if he opens a window or door on that side, then turns on a fan. All your exhaust gets sucked into his RV. Sometimes it doesn't even take that. I parked at the Redmond rally last summer and my neighbors genny exhaust blew right in my entry door. Use a Gen-Turi (or reasonable copy) it may save a fellow campers life!!
Marty
When I spoke to Aqua Hot they did not say that they recomended it but they did say it wasn't a bad idea.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 04:41:22 AM »
One thing that you probably have not considered in rerouting the AquaHot and/or generator exhaust to the rear of the coach is the problem of routing around the rear suspension. The design of the rear suspension makes it very difficult if not impossible to route over the rear axle. So you will have to route under the axle, and when you allow for full suspension travel, the exhaust becomes visible from outside of the coach and closer to the road. This is one of the main reasons that the AquaHot exhaust exits in front of the rear axle. If you generator is on a front slide-out mount, the exhaust has to move with the generator, so an exhaust to the rear of the coach is not possible.

I have a 2000 Marquis and the factory generator exhaust was routed through the rear flap. To accomplish this the exhaust was routed below the rear axle. The exhaust is low enough that I have incurred damage to it twice from the low road clearance. The 2000 Marquis was the lowest Beaver ever built, so you may be able to route the exhaust high enough to avoid this problem on latter model coaches, however it is something to consider.

Gerald

Jeff Watt

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 03:08:46 PM »
I may give the GenTuri system a try as a permanent rear routing is probably not easy. Routing out back temporarily may still be an option. The suction cup idea sounds like a simple mounting solution.

I started this topic since, like Marty says, when parked beside someone, the exhaust from my coach can be going right into their area/unit. This exhausting issue  :)  came to light during my inaugural run in September when twice we were parked pretty close to neighbors. In one instance the power was not a good 30 amp service so the electric element would not run the Aquahot. Consequently, even though it was warm during the day I had to run the diesel for hot water and the neighbors were occasionally sitting outside.  

I am not too worried about the genset yet as to date I have only used it at WalMarts and at roadsides. Planning a trip next summer where it may be used a quite a bit so will consider a Genturi for it as well; it exhausts below the driver's window.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 03:54:37 PM »
It is flat out rude to blow diesel exhaust at anybody.  It is extraordinarily obnoxious and it might even be dangerous.  There is a story where someone died from CO poisoning at a NASCAR race inside a motorhome.  Worse, it makes my wife grumpy when she smells it in her motorhome.

The simple, easy solution is a Genturi.  It is well engineered and easy to use. Its one unique feature is that, using a venturi effect, it mixes air with the exhaust so the pipe stays cool to the touch.  Not only will it send the stink skyward, it won’t burn anyone that touches the pipe.

I have two.  One for the Onan and one for the HydroHot.  I’ve used the one on the HydroHot for about 1500 nights in eight years.  It works.  The one on the Onan is only used when I’m dry camping.  

When the coach was new, I went to a lot of rallies where both Onan and AquaHot conducted seminars.  Always asked was, “Can I use a Genturi?”.  The answer from both companies was always, “Our lawyers won’t let us endorse a product we didn’t design or test ourselves.”   When asked, “Have you ever, as a tech rep, seen a problem caused by an exhaust extension device?”, the answer would be “No.”  

My installation is a little different.  To hook the required support straps to the motorhome I bought nice and pricy stainless eyes and screws from West Marine.  I attached them to the “waste band” that functions as a hinge for the basement doors.  I did not think it was a good idea to put screws in the sidewall itself.  On the HydroHot, the Genturi pipe almost fit directly into the polished exhaust extension.  A few minutes with a file and it did fit.  With it inserted, I drilled a hole and use ¼ inch bolt as a pin.  For the Onan, I used the adapters that come with it.

I think is absolutely necessary to send diesel exhaust skyward. As a hot gas, it will continue rising, but you have to get it started.  Any way you do it is good.  The Genturi appears to be the best solution you can buy as a kit.    

Chuck Bayman

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 03:56:32 PM »
Jeff

I had a friend help me with the welding but we took a piece of square tubing and an elbow from a local muffler shop and fabricated the  connection for the HydroHot exhaust tip. I used a Genturi from CW and drilled out the rivets on the brackets that held the connection for the generator pipe and used them on the new setup. We drilled holes thru both ends and i use a pin and clip to hold it in place.

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 04:16:52 PM »
Jeff,

These are currently $105 on Amazon

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2011, 04:48:18 PM »
Gerald,
 my genset exhaust is routed OVER the rear axle and then out the rear flap. I am considering routing the Hurricane the same way.   I need   to cut the hurricane  exhaust where it meets the genset exhaust in the mid coach area  and run them together  to the rear flap using flexible stainless exhaust tubing over the rear axle area to hard tubing to exit the flap.
My question is: what size exhaust tubing should I use to prevent a back pressure issue ??
             Feliz Navidad,  Jeremy
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 10:43:55 PM by 4115 »

Joel Weiss

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011, 06:10:15 PM »
I realize this isn't the solution you are looking for but the previous owner of our coach had replaced the OEM Hurricane exhaust pipe with a custom stainless one.  When he did so he set it up to exhaust in front of the passenger side rear wheel.  At least that means that the only people who will smell it are us. ;D  

I should note that our Hurricane burns so cleanly that I can hear it much more than I can smell it.  Furthermore, if the weather is cold enough for it to be used a lot I figure it's probably too cold to spend much time outdoors so the smell isn't an issue.

George H. Wall

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2011, 06:12:30 PM »
I use a run of rubberized  heavy marine hosing, 30 feet, that can be run under, behind, or around to any area needed for the exhaust of the generator. It rolls up for storage or travel. Get the size that slips over your exhaust tightly, that can be attached or removed easily.  Henry