Author Topic: Slide out puzzle  (Read 8349 times)

Jeff Watt

Slide out puzzle
« on: December 27, 2011, 10:12:35 PM »
On my coach the passenger slide works well - no problems extending or retracting and is going to its limit. However something has always puzzled me since I purchased the coach is that to me it seems as if it should go further. I am basing this solely on the fact a speaker is hidden by the slide even when the slide is extended. THIS may be perfectly normal, however I was browsing and saw some pictures inside "for sale" coaches and in those the speaker is visible, albeit on some different floor plans.

I have attached some photos to help explain my query. One photo is of the speaker on the driver side. The paint on the outside of the slide is black, indicating that it is in its extended position. The awning also is fully extended.

If it is incorrect, then (1) how can it be adjusted and (2) where?

Thanks,

Jeff

JimDyer

Re: Slide out puzzle
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 02:24:14 AM »
My slide has a flange on the top which seals against the inside of the coach wall when the slide is extended and aginst the outside of the coach wall when the slide is in. If you get up on a ladder, you should be able to get your fingers into the space between the coach wall and the slide flange, IF the slide is not fully extended.

I would guess that you would need to investigate under the slide from outside to change anything.

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 03:05:49 AM »
No it is NOT correct. Your third picture shows (to me) the interior gasket on the slide isn't against the interior wall. I assume all your slides are hydraulic.  Is the dimension from the gasket to the wall the same on the front of the slideout as on the back of the slideout? It should be. From the picture it looks like the slide is not  completely extended. Do you always put that slide out last? If so, possible low fluid. If not the fluid, check the end of the ram for a jam nut; is there is room for adjustment?  If there is, make sure it's tight.  Also is the dimension from the top to the bottom of the slide the same? Hope this is of some help.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Butch Martin

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 07:12:55 AM »
According to the pictures, Jim is right.  It looks like the back of the slide is not fully extending.  It looks like its cocked sideways when out.  Is it flush when retracted?
A simple measurement (outside) of how far the gasket is from the wall when the slide is  extended compared front and back of the slide should confirm this.

Butch

Jeff Watt

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 03:45:10 PM »
The slide is usually not the last out so we can rule out hydraulic fluid level. The slide is perfectly flush when retracted. As suggested I took some measurements.

FROM THE OUTSIDE:
bottom front = 15.75
bottom rear = 16.25

top front = 16.5
top rear = 17

FROM THE INSIDE:

from metal frame to outside cabinet

Top Front = 4.5
Top rear = approx 5.75

from wall to cabinet

bottom front = 5.5
bottom rear = 6.75  more of a guess as with cabinetry I can't really measure and this is at counter level

I can't see any mechanism as the slide is totally enclosed and I am not about to start dismantling it without knowing how to fix it.

Other than the covering of the speaker, it hasn't really been an issue. Nevertheless I'd like to have it fixed (if indeed it is incorrect). Finding a repair facility is then the next task. Before I make arrangements to have it repaired, I'll have to definitely need to confirm it needs to go out further. (Oddly the outside paint seems to match as if it is out all the way).

Jeff

JimDyer

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 07:43:42 PM »
Surely there is someone here with an '05 Yorktown, who could measure theirs for you??
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 04:28:55 AM by 14 »

Ken Buck

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 08:10:24 PM »
On my slideouts there is a black rubber seal on the inner flange of the slideout. I can reach around the side and feel if its touching the wall or not. The floors on my front slides also drop down as the slides go out to become mostly flush with the motorhome center flooring. Of course different models and years will have different slide manufacturers, but do all the slide floors line up the same? Can you reach around the side and feel the gasket making contact?

Slides can get items under them which prevent full extension. My rear slides are notorious for eating things I've left on the nightstand which slide off. So you might need to do a little exploring to find the book or whatever that might have slid off and is keeping the slide from full extension.

Ken

Edward Buker

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 09:33:55 PM »
Jeff,

You may want to describe "bottom front" and "bottom rear" for your outside measurements so if someone has the same coach they can take the measurements in the same manner. I'm thinking that is from the outer face of the slideout and also from the back of the outer face of the slideout to the outer wall of the motorhome.

Later Ed

Edward Buker

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 10:24:04 PM »
Jeff,

You may want to describe "bottom front" and "bottom rear" for your outside measurements so if someone has the same coach they can take the measurements in the same manner. I'm thinking that is from the outer face of the slideout and also from the back of the outer face of the slideout to the outer wall of the motorhome.

Later Ed

Jeff Watt

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 11:19:21 PM »
The measurements outside are from the outerface of the motorhome to the outerface of the slide.

Inside the front measurement if from the casing (that houses the fabric that goes in/out with the slide) to the edge of the cabinet.  The rear inside measurement if from the coach wall to the cabinet outside.

I went and took another look at things and there appears to be a metal stop. Additionally, there is a metal/aluminum edge on slide with rubber that is against the inside wall of the motorhome, i.e. the slide appears to be as far out as it can go. There is still about  4-5 inches from this metal edge to the inside of the cabinet. This is different than on the driver side where the inside cabinet edge is effectively pressed against the motorhome wall.

I have attached some more photos (good thing the iPhone is narrow) of the front stop, aluminum edge stop and rear stop.

So although the slide does not look correct, from a aesthetic and functional (prevents full functionality of the speaker) viewpoint, it appears to be at its limit.

Could this have been incorrectly constructed/installed by the manufacturer? I don't know. Also I don't know if it can be adjusted and if so by whom.... HWH, BCS??

Any thoughts??????

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 12:34:46 AM »
Boy, I don't know Jeff. I am at work in Alaska for a little over two weeks. I can ask my wife to check it out in ours. We are wintering down south so I won't be returning until January 17th. Your missing out, the weather has been very nice where we parked the Beaver. Sure nice to leave this 35 below zero stuff up here for the 70's down there. I will get back to you after I talk to her.
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 01:27:48 AM »
Just spoke with Rhonda. She said ours also blocks the speaker. We had our whole system updated so we do not use those speakers anymore. They mounted 3 in the ceiling instead for our front speakers. Anyway I guess that is normal. We had one of the drive chains replaced on that slide at Beaver in Bend and they never mentioned it not being fully extended so I guess that is how it was done from the factory.  :-/
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Jeff Watt

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 05:43:30 AM »
Thanks Larry,

From the outside it looks correct, i.e. the paint matches, etc. so maybe we are just lucky in the way these models were built. :)  The 3-4 inches of additional space isn't really the issue, rather it is just the odd look of it.

Jeff