Author Topic: New LED taillamp/turn signals  (Read 4102 times)

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
  • Second generation fulltimers!!
New LED taillamp/turn signals
« on: January 12, 2012, 04:10:38 AM »
Jim Nichols installed some new LED brake lamps/turn signals on my 2007 Contessa. We were unable to get the brakelamps to come on with the exhaust brake (otherwise everything worked well, both brakelamps and turnsignals). Our (Jim's) solution was to install Diode's to stop the power feedback. Diodes were installed today and still it does not work. Can it be something in that new multi-ples wiring system? Anyone else have any luck with this project?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ken Sair 2007 Contessa
BAC members since 2006

Edward Buker

Re: New LED taillamp/turn signals
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 12:02:49 PM »
Assuming this lighting all worked before tthe LEDs were added, temporarily add a brake light bulb in a socket in parallel to the LED bulbs. Sometimes electronic circuits that turn these things on are looking for a certain current flow as part of the checking sytems, or the circuits require current flow of a certain design range to make them work at all.

The other possibility is that you are testing this sitting in a static mode. You may need to be driving in a gear other than 1st to have the brake come on. Not sure how yours is set up. Hope this helps.

Later Ed

Keith Oliver

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 04:04:01 PM »
Perhaps a different system in my 98 Contessa, but the PO added an electronic module that keeps the brake lights active while only the Pac-brake is engaged, as it previously behaved as yours does.  I don't recall the brand or trade name of the module, but in a couple of weeks, when I am back at my coach, if you haven't sorted this out, I will check.

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
  • Second generation fulltimers!!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 04:52:00 AM »
Turns out this new multiplex wiring system is not so user friendly as older Beaver coaches.  Anyway, the solution lay in installation of 2 diodes in the wiring.  LEDs are working great now.  Again, thanks to Jim Nichols and Joe Van Loan for their persistence in identifying the problem and effecting the solution.

Ken Sair 2007 Contessa
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 06:35:47 AM by 14 »
BAC members since 2006