Author Topic: Fan-Tastic Vent understands customer service  (Read 9481 times)

Joel Weiss

Fan-Tastic Vent understands customer service
« on: January 17, 2012, 03:31:45 PM »
The lift mechanism for our toilet room Fan-Tastic vent stripped a gear and the lid can't be raised even with the knob.  I called Fan-Tastic to order parts and their response amazed me: "We'll send you new parts for both your fans and all you need to pay is ~$11 shipping."  These are 12 year old fans; I'm really impressed.  That's how you build brand loyalty!

JimDyer

Re: Fan-Tastic Vent understands customer service
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 03:43:13 PM »
What's with the shipping charge? That's new since the takeover!

Wayne Tull

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 06:18:55 PM »
Last year they replaced a motor and connecting mechanical assembles on My '94 at no charge for anything.  I too was wondering what the new ownership might do with their policies.  

Joel Weiss

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 10:25:32 PM »
I don't think $11 shipping for two motor assemblies and lift mechanisms was that big a deal even if it does represent a change from previous policy.  Anyone who provides relatively free parts for units that old I think deserves kudos.  Many other companies would either price the replacement parts so you would be better off buying a whole new item or wouldn't even sell the replacement parts in the first place.   Think about all the people who would like to replace a door seal on a Norcold only to be told they have to buy an entire door.  

JimDyer

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 10:33:52 PM »
Absolutely correct, Joel, but it is worth noting that the new owners' promise that the service policies wouldn't change only lasted 3 months.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 01:10:43 AM »
I replaced a stripped mechanism in one of my fans this summer - the same scenario except no shipping charges.  The reason for the damage is obviously common, and members should be alerted how to prevent stripping gears on their own fans.

If the fan lids sit closed for any length of time and through various weather conditions, the lid seals can stick.  The automatic or manual modes of opening the lids will be stymied if the lid is stuck solid, and eventually the gears that drive the mechanism strip.  The preventive move is to clean and treat the seal under the lid on the roof.  There was a seal composite/manufacturer change sometime back that resulted in a less than optimum material.  In addition to one new gear drive, Fantastic sent me new seals for both fans, with complete instructions.  I treated the seals with the included and recommended Aerospace 303, but the lids still stuck down when I tried to open them a couple months later, in spite of the company's revamped seal composite.  

I'd recommend regularly opening and closing the lids, esp. when a rig is in storage, just to keep the seal flexible and not taking a set.  Probably wouldn't hurt to clean and treat with 303 a couple times a year, and practice not manually snugging down the lid too tightly on closure.  Don't force a stuck lid to open either - that's a good way to strip the drive gear;  you may have to go topside and give it a hand to crack the seal, or remove the screen and give the lid a little helping hand from inside.  If you have your fans on automatic, and you aren't always present, stripped gears may be unavoidable without preemptive seal treatment efforts topside.  ;)

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Joel Weiss

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 01:23:48 AM »
As someone who has owned and run companies in past lives, I personally can't imagine how any company can justify providing totally free parts for out-of-warranty products.  Regardless of the small incremental cost of a single part when parts are probably bought or produced in large volume, shipping costs are an actual "external" cost that take money out of the business.  Rather than criticize whether or not the new owners have decided to change prior policy, I respect that they are making an effort to continue what amounts to an unlimited warranty policy.  I applaud their efforts.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 01:53:49 AM »
I agree with Joel. Fantastic Fan has the best customer support in the RV industry. With the RV business in the recession that it is in currently, the shipping cost may be the only way that they can maintain their free parts program.

If I have to pay shipping for a part if my fan breaks, and the parts are free, I will consider it a great deal.

Gerald

JimDyer

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 02:19:18 PM »
Both of you are right, Gerald and Joel, though I also see that the annual cost of repair parts is probably pretty cheap advertising. These days it seems you have to do something special to inspire the love from your customers that used to. Come from doing a good job on price and quality. And liberal warranty and return policies have been working for a long time.........think Sears, Wal-Mart, and Tiffin.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 04:05:28 PM »
Quote from: Joel Ashley
I replaced a stripped mechanism in one of my fans this summer - the same scenario except no shipping charges.  The reason for the damage is obviously common, and members should be alerted how to prevent stripping gears on their own fans.

If the fan lids sit closed for any length of time and through various weather conditions, the lid seals can stick.  The automatic or manual modes of opening the lids will be stymied if the lid is stuck solid, and eventually the gears that drive the mechanism strip.  The preventive move is to clean and treat the seal under the lid on the roof.  There was a seal composite/manufacturer change sometime back that resulted in a less than optimum material.  In addition to one new gear drive, Fantastic sent me new seals for both fans, with complete instructions.  I treated the seals with the included and recommended Aerospace 303, but the lids still stuck down when I tried to open them a couple months later, in spite of the company's revamped seal composite.  

I'd recommend regularly opening and closing the lids, esp. when a rig is in storage, just to keep the seal flexible and not taking a set.  Probably wouldn't hurt to clean and treat with 303 a couple times a year, and practice not manually snugging down the lid too tightly on closure.  Don't force a stuck lid to open either - that's a good way to strip the drive gear;  you may have to go topside and give it a hand to crack the seal, or remove the screen and give the lid a little helping hand from inside.  If you have your fans on automatic, and you aren't always present, stripped gears may be unavoidable without preemptive seal treatment efforts topside.  ;)

Joel

It's possible the hatch on my fan stuck, but not as the result of disuse.  The one that failed is in the toilet room and gets used on a daily basis.  In August we had had a failure of the pin on which the lift mechanism pivots but were able to create a replacement.  It's possible our improvised one put too much stress on the rest of the gears.  It is a 12-year-old device; I don't quibble with having to do something to fix it after that many years.

Joel

Phil Sales

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 04:11:05 PM »
Just  3 or 4 weeks ago, I called them with the same problem. they sent me a new lift mechanism and arm. There was no charge even for shipping.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 07:53:51 PM »
Quote from: ]Just  3 or 4 weeks ago, I called them with the same problem. they sent me a new lift mechanism and arm. There was no charge even for shipping.[/quote

Could well have been something that went into effect on Jan 1.

Bruce Benson

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 10:48:51 PM »
We have three fans in our coach.  One is used twice every day, one twice most days and one every now and then.  We have done this for 7 years.  We replace the motor and operator arm on each of them every two to three years.  Each time Fantastic Fan has sent the replacements at no charge.  

The fact that they are willing to replace them is good but the fact that we have to install them (not so easy) over and over is bad.  It is obviously a case of poor metallurgy engineering.  They have done nothing to correct this obvious problem.

I wish that there was an alternative unit that would hold up or that the new owner would successfully address this obvious poor design.  

Joel Weiss

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 11:20:07 PM »
[quote author=]
The fact that they are willing to replace them is good but the fact that we have to install them (not so easy) over and over is bad.  It is obviously a case of poor metallurgy engineering.  They have done nothing to correct this obvious problem.
[/quote]

There are definite differences between the replacement parts and those that I removed from the fans.  The trouble is I'm not sure any changes have been made to the lift mechanism (gearbox) which is the part that failed for me.  What is changed is the lift motor and it's gearbox.  It is much quieter and my guess is that the electric motor has been re-geared so it requires more turns of the motor to raise the lift equivalent distances.  That will reduce the torque load on the motor and its gearbox, but I don't think it does anything for the lift gearbox itself.