Author Topic: Onan 8000QD coolant  (Read 5256 times)

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
  • Second generation fulltimers!!
Onan 8000QD coolant
« on: February 08, 2012, 04:09:01 AM »
I have just completed a coolant drain-flush-refill on my coach. I have 2.5 gallons of CAT ELC left over. It is the 50/50 mix, 40-49% ethylene glycol, a few percent other things and 50% water. Onan calls for either ethylene glycol or propylene glycol. Does the CAT ELC meet this standard? I cannot find any reference from Onan re: astm D4985 etc that come on the coolant bottle itself. The ELC has embitterment? What is that?

Is this OK? Does anyone else have CAT ELC in their generator. Sure would like to carry just one coolant around.

Ken Sair 2007 Contessa
BAC members since 2006

Gerald Farris

Re: Onan 8000QD coolant
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 05:33:57 AM »
Ken,
The Cat ELC will work OK in your generator, although cheaper automotive antifreeze will also work well in your generator. However since you already have the Cat ELC you might as well use it.

Embitterment is an additive that is added to coolant to turn the semisweet taste of the coolant into a bitter taste in order to prevent animals (mostly dogs and cats) from drinking it in case of a leak. The coolant is poisonous and some states require the embitterment additive.

Gerald

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
  • Second generation fulltimers!!
Re: Onan 8000QD coolant
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 02:27:45 AM »
Thanks Gerald. I was hoping that was the answer. I'm just trying to not duplicate fluids. IE, the same coolant and oil in the engine/generator.

Ken SAir 2007 Contessa
BAC members since 2006