Author Topic: 50 amp surge protector  (Read 61776 times)

Jim Crawford

Re: 50 amp surge protector
« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2016, 02:29:43 AM »
OK.  Dumb question... I have a 2003 Patriot Thunder 505 HP Cat C12  I have recently purchased the Progressive Industries EMS-hw50C surge protector that comes highly recommended through this Beaver forum.  In preparation of the install I have taken the time to watch the EMS-hw50C surge protector install video but the video did not show an installation of this unit into a coach  that is equipped with an power inverter.  That said does the power output from the EMS-hw50C unit  go into the converter or the  transfer switch ?
Attached picture of my transfer switch / power supply

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2016, 02:43:18 AM »
There are no dumb questions just dumb mistakes.
The surge protector would go in between your 50 amp shore power cord in and the transfer switch. One of those two contactors in the switch box is for the genie and the other shore power. There should be tech support with that unit call them for any pointers.

Jim Crawford

« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2016, 04:31:42 AM »
Thanks for the information Lee.  I will reach out to the manufacture and obtain some tech tips..

Neal E Weinmann

• BAC Member
« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2016, 12:40:30 PM »
I can confirm that their tech support is great.....give them a call. And the unit works as advertised-glad I installed one.
2005 Monterey Bayview IV
CAT C9 400HP
2018 Ford Edge Titanium

Jim Crawford

« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2016, 03:14:24 AM »
Spoke with Ken @ Bend Beaver service  today and he was very helpful as he explained which line was the incoming shore power.  Once I determined which was shore power it was very evident that the EMS was wired differently that the transfer switch.

The EMS  switch is wired with Black @ T-1, White @ T-2 & Red @T-3 whereas as the incoming shore power to transfer switch is wired Red@ L-1,   White L-2 and Black @ L-3 so it left me very concerned.  I'm assuming that the EMS is a passive system and if that is the case then the wiring would not work in this manner as it would have connected Red L-1 to Black T-1

I will have to reach out to Beaver for further clarification just to be safe..

Jim Crawford

« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2016, 03:21:06 AM »
Would anyone have any pictures or video of the wiring setup coming from the EMS as it connect & runs into the transfer switch..?

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2016, 05:26:22 AM »
Jim, My shore power cable goes to the surge protector and then to the transfer switch.  My setup looks exactly like your picture assuming that your pic is turned sideways.  My Transfer switch is on the left.  The bottom relay, on mine, is the shore side.  The genie feeds the top relay.  The colors on the incoming are a direct match up from one side of the relay to the other.  From there the power, shore or genie, goes into what I call the Aladdin box because that is where the Aladdin picks up the AC legs, voltage and current to display.  There are also 2 5 amp fuses in my Aladdin box.  Sorry I don't have any pics but it's pretty straight forward in mine.  I just matched color for color.  If I can get in there tomorrow I'll take some pics.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Edward Buker

« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2016, 01:14:10 PM »
Jim,

The Black and Red are universally the two hot legs and the white is the neutral. You can verify that with a meter, you should see 120V from white to black and 120V white to red at the relays of the transfer switch. Those are your two hot legs coming to the transfer switch.

Regardless of how the protection device labels things as leg one or two is not an issue. You would follow their color code and maintain red to red, black to black, and white to white through the protection device and through the transfer switch. That is, wire the transfer device as it is now and the protection device as they show it in their literature and follow the color code black to black, red to red, white to white through both.

Later Ed

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2016, 01:43:35 PM »
Would anyone have any pictures or video of the wiring setup coming from the EMS as it connect & runs into the transfer switch..?

Jim, Easy way to find out which feed is gen or shore power is to do a voltage check in the transfer switch box with a volt meter with your shore power connected, red or black to grd/green or to white/neutral will be 120 Volts. Then make sure you unplug shore power and make sure the auto start for the gen is off and test the voltage again just to make sure the complete system is dead.
If you still are not sure what is going on, I would strongly suggest you get somebody with knowledge with electrical do this job.