Author Topic: TV upgrade  (Read 22235 times)

Joel Weiss

Re: TV upgrade
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 02:46:39 PM »
George--

If you have additional questions or want additional photos, just PM me.  I think the smartest thing we did was install the Sony sound bar system (HT CT350) to replace the Bose (that Sony is no longer current, but there are other sound bars).  With HDMI inputs and 400 watts of power it provides excellent sound in the viewing area.

Joel

Edward Buker

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 07:29:02 PM »
I have done both a fixed mount and an arm mount for flat screen TVs in RVs. The arm mount was to add a 32 inch to the front center of the 89 Contessa  coach and the fixed mount was for a 26 inch bedroom TV in our current 02 Marquis.

I found the arm mount to be not as sturdy and much more difficult to set the angles correctly to have the TV nest when finished in the correct position both centered and clearance wise. When nested you still have the issue of holding it in place given it was not designed for over the road service. I added an extra bracket to hold it in place and cut down on road vibration.

The fixed mount was made of wood and provided infinite flexibiity as to how I wanted the tv to end up position wise. Given the bottom of our current cabinets are sturdy and well made the wood mount just gets slid in place and I used 4 square drive decorative screws to attach it through the bottom of the existing cabinet. If you need to get in there you just have to back out the screws and pull the TV out. Once in place you can then trim out the suround however you prefer. In the end I found this mount to be much more sturdy, vibration free, cheaper, and easier than the metal arm mounts. The tilt also allows the top of the cabinet to be open to let any heat out. I like the simplicity of what Marty did but I would probably want a downward angle for the TV to be aimed at the viewer. That feature could be added to that design.
Hope this helps.

Later Ed

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 07:44:33 PM »
Ed, My front TV does have a downward angle. I mounted the panel to the original TV trim that held the old TV in. Similar to how your last picture looks only I used the factory trim. The mount that holds the TV to the panel is also adjustable for more downward angle. This way I can still get behind the TV's for storage. Marty

Edward Buker

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 12:52:30 AM »
Good job Marty. Maybe some of these posts will save others some time and money doing their projects.

Later Ed

Keith Oliver

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 01:14:52 AM »
George:

I bought a mount from Costco.  When test fitting it, I found it would be the height I needed and would allow the TV to swing away far enough to get other things in the cabinet, if I mounted it up high on the ~1.5" thick right side of the cabinet.  the bolt holes were high enough that the lower ones took a big lag screw and were just above the bottom of the adjacent cabinet.  the top ones protruded into the cabinet a bit, but cover nicely. No extra post required.
the Costco unit will support up to a 47", so plenty strong enough for the little TV that just covers the trim at both sides.  The TV has to move slightly to the left to get the cabinet door open.