Author Topic: Hydraulic tank return line hose fitting  (Read 4451 times)

Jeremy Parrett

Hydraulic tank return line hose fitting
« on: February 17, 2012, 05:16:41 AM »
I have the steel square hydraulic tank in the service bay above the diesel and hydraulic filters.
The hydraulic lines are attached to male fittings screwed into the  bottom of the tank on the engine side.The return line for the power steering attaches to the tank with a hose barb/ male nipple fitting .
Someone has replaced the original  brass fitting with a nylon fitting that cannot be tightened sufficiently to prevent it leaking.
I need to know the correct size of the male  fitting. The hose that attaches to the hose barb end might be 3/8ths in.
 Thanks,  Jeremy

Steve Jewell

Re: Hydraulic tank return line hose fitting
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 12:28:01 PM »
Jeremy,

On my coach there was a 5/8” hose on the ½” fitting on the tank. I put a piece of ½” oil proof hose on the tank then used a ½”  to 5/8” brass barbed fitting to connect to the 5/8”hose. Here is a link to web site that has the fittings.   http://www.plumbingstore.com/brass_barb_fittings.html    Most commercial plumbing supply stores carry this fitting - if there is one near you.

Steve J

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 06:02:18 PM »
Hi Steve,
  so the actual female threaded tank port is 1/2 inch ??  Then a 1/2 inch male fitting with a 5/8th hose barb will do the job?   Thanks,  Jeremy

Steve Jewell

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 09:24:08 PM »
Jeremy,
  The return hose on mine was a little short so I left the ½” fitting in the tank. I them put a piece of ½” hose  about a foot long on it and connected the two hoses together with a double barbed fitting  ½” on one end and 5/8 “ on the other.

Steve J