Author Topic: Roof Coating  (Read 15636 times)

Tom and Pam Brown

Roof Coating
« on: February 19, 2012, 04:01:07 PM »
Well after 2 days of buffing i have decided to try Dicor roof coating. Not much success with the buffer and elbow grease.  I will post my progress and if I can remember I will photograph the process for those interested.  It seems to be a fairly straight forward process that will consume less time for better results.  I have ordered the product, and hope to accomplish by mid March.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 06:35:15 PM by 14 »

JimCasazze

Re: Roof Coating
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 05:15:18 PM »
Tom,
Which of there products will you be using?  What is the condition of your roof and is your intention to seal leaks or improve the roof appearance?
J

Brad Burgess

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 06:08:51 PM »
Hi Tom

Have you considered Bus-Kote?

Brad Burgess
06 Monterey

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 07:31:01 PM »
Guys,

I am using Dicor Fiberglass roof coating.  It is self leveling and fairly simple to apply.

I have no leaks but the oxidation on the roof is constantly running down the sides and windsheild when moisture builds on the roof.  I looked at Bus Kote and marine type paints and i am sure they are fine products but i decided on the Dicor because of the ease of installation.  It is also designed for exactly my problem.  It has only been on the market a year and it will last in excess of 5 years so i am told.

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 07:32:15 PM »
By the way the cost of the product and cleaner is about $250 total.  That will give me enough for 2 coats.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 11:05:44 PM »
We  applied 2 coats of Dicor Elastomeric RV Roof coating to solve the oxidization on the roof  in January 2011. It has held up very well and I have NO more white streaks down the coach sides.  
 After scrubbing and taping off the roof we applied the paint with a roller.  3 gallons was more than enough for 2 good coats. We have 1/2 gallon left over.
 It has increased the heat reflective qualities of the roof . Next month ,back in the US ,we will extend the painted area right to the front and rear flat roof areas.  It has a life of 10 years and is very easy to remove and reapply.

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 02:02:51 AM »
Thank Jeremy I feel like I made the right decision I know my knees and elbows think so haha

JimDyer

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 10:16:53 AM »
Quote from: Jeremy Parrett
We  applied 2 coats of Dicor Elastomeric RV Roof coating to solve the oxidization on the roof  in January 2011. It has held up very well and I have NO more white streaks down the coach sides.  
 After scrubbing and taping off the roof we applied the paint with a roller.  3 gallons was more than enough for 2 good coats. We have 1/2 gallon left over.
 It has increased the heat reflective qualities of the roof . Next month ,back in the US ,we will extend the painted area right to the front and rear flat roof areas.  It has a life of 10 years and is very easy to remove and reapply.

Jeremy, could you clarify - next month you will extend right to the front and rear- so you just did a test patch in January?

Thanks

Edward Buker

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 04:53:06 PM »
Seeing we are back on the subject of roof coating..... I just wanted to pass along that after two years and several seasons of travel through the deserts of NM, at times in excess of 105 degrees, and into the rains and cool of the Pacific NW, a summer in VT, and winters in coastal AL the paint coating has held up.  The Rustoleum Marine Fiberglass Deck paint is still glossy with no sign of deterioration or adhesion loss. This is after several pressure washings. If there is an area with mold on it I will linger with the pressure washer to clean it which is a pretty severe test.

This finish is made to stand up to the sun in a marine environment and I cannot come up with anything that I dislike about it in regard to cost, durability, and ease of application. The oxidation streaks no longer exist and the painted surface is smooth enough to shed most dirt in the rain. Just thought I would pass this experience along with the other alternatives.

Later Ed

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 10:00:08 PM »
Hi Jim,
  we painted the whole white gelcoated area that was oxidizing.  This area  finishes about  3 feet from the front and rear radius edge. These areas are  painted the same colour as the radius and have peeled severely .I am going to sand them  down to feather the peeled clearcoat ,tape   off and apply paint 2 coats of the Dicor Elastomeric roof paint.
 The main white area was painted January 2011 . We have been to Baja the last 2 winters,to Canada, and right across the US last Fall . The coach has been outdoors all this time.
It has been scrubbed and washed several times and still looks great.   I use a soft scrubber with lots of suds and wash off with the hose.
I also note that if I linger too long with the pressure washer I begin to lift the paint.........a useful thought if I ever decide to have the whole roof repainted professionally.
I will see if I can find a photo for you.
 I bought this paint on EBay . 3 gallons cost under $100.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 10:19:58 PM »
Here is a pic of the BGB (Big Green Bus  ,my Grandson's name for the Beaver) taken February 27th 2011 near Ensenada ,Baja California. You can see the area at front  where the clearcoat is peeling. The rear is the same I am going to extend the Dicor Paint right to the front edge of the radius.It will still be invisible from the road.

JimDyer

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 02:31:57 AM »
Thanks for the info and the pictures. The Mop n Glo I put on last fall started to give white streaks after about 9 months, so I guess it's time to get serious this summer.

Keith Oliver

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 03:31:28 AM »
Jim
If Mop n glow lasted 9 months, why get more serious than that?

I used Mop n Glow on my boat to keep the yellow mustache at bay.  It worked fairly well, but the residual MnG buildup was terribly hard to get off.  Fortunately, That was about 10 years later, when the mustache had returned and I was using toilet bowl cleaner to bleach it out, about twice a year.  Then I found some cleaner - Collinite 920- that I used to get thru all of the built up stuff on the FG.  It worked very well.  I tried it on the Beaver, and on the roof it brought up a shine that I don't think had been seen for a few years.  Then a coat of Collinite wax 925.  I did that all in early Nov, in California.  the Beaver hasn't been north yet, and now, looks like it was done yesterday.  I have washed it, and in some other places I have touched up the wax with Collinite for RVs.  I think the boat stuff is way better than the RV stuff, which combines cleaner and wax in one bottle.

JimDyer

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 10:59:23 AM »
Interesting, Keith.. West Marine?

Bruce Benson

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 03:58:42 PM »
Best price I found for Collinite 920 was $7.99 on Amazon.com.  Bass Pro and West Marine do not appear to carry it.