Author Topic: What is this for?  (Read 6890 times)

Jeff Watt

What is this for?
« on: March 29, 2014, 04:13:59 PM »
This cylinder is in the bay above my fuel tank (excuse the dust and dirt).

It appears to be hydraulic, with lines going off to somewhere buried in the centre of the coach.

I have no idea what this cylinder could be for as it is not attached to anything, nor do I believe anything can be attached to it. I have not had anyone watch to see if it extends or retracts when slides are moved. Probably not a big deal as it isn't bothering anything (that I know of). More to see what it might (or should) be.

Jeff

Edward Buker

Re: What is this for?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 05:45:00 PM »
Jeff,

I wonder if they equipped the chassis with cylinders and hydraulics for the maximum number of slides or possibly a larger slide option for that model year and yours did not have a slide or a large slide in that position. Based on where it is on the chassis I cannot think of another use except for possibly a slide out system for a genset. Good mystery....

Later Ed

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 05:58:50 PM »
Did Beaver offer the full wall slide in 07?
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Jeff Watt

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 06:10:56 PM »
Steve,

I am not sure; believe they did in 08.

for more clarity, this cylinder is on the passenger side and is going parallel with the coach, i.e. the plunger portion is pointing to the back of the coach.

jeff

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 11:15:43 PM »
Quote from: Jeff Watt
This cylinder is in the bay above my fuel tank (excuse the dust and dirt).

It appears to be hydraulic, with lines going off to somewhere buried in the centre of the coach.

I have no idea what this cylinder could be for as it is not attached to anything, nor do I believe anything can be attached to it. I have not had anyone watch to see if it extends or retracts when slides are moved. Probably not a big deal as it isn't bothering anything (that I know of). More to see what it might (or should) be.

Jeff
I wondered the same thing so off the HWH parts book and looked it up.
It is a synchronizing cylinder, what you have like mine a a X Slide system on the front pass side slide. The hyd pump feeds into this cylinder which in turn lets oil out to the two cylinders equally that run the slide system. With you pass side slide in take down the curtain behind the pass seat and you will see this piece of masterful engineering.
In case your interested the drawing is on page 1287 of the HWH parts catalog.

Jeff Watt

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 05:25:46 PM »
Thanks Lee for the explanation. I also found what I then presume is a similar cylinder for the driver's side slide. This one is larger and goes perpendicular to the coach (above the propane tank), with the plunger going to the passenger side. One would think that these aren't necessary - basing this from what I have seen on many pieces of farm equipment I have used, one pump (on the tractor) manages many different cylinders all retracting/extending at the same rate. But I am not a hydraulics expert.

Jeff

ps. sorry the pic is upside down.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 09:21:33 PM »
Quote from: Jeff Watt
Thanks Lee for the explanation. I also found what I then presume is a similar cylinder for the driver's side slide. This one is larger and goes perpendicular to the coach (above the propane tank), with the plunger going to the passenger side. One would think that these aren't necessary - basing this from what I have seen on many pieces of farm equipment I have used, one pump (on the tractor) manages many different cylinders all retracting/extending at the same rate. But I am not a hydraulics expert.

Jeff

ps. sorry the pic is upside down.

From what I have learned about hydraulics if you have two or more cylinders that must move exactly together a synchro cylinder is the way to go. With the size of these slides and the tight fit they better move at exactly the same time. I wish they would put labels on some of these items, would keep from a lot of head scratching.