Author Topic: sirius radio  (Read 3217 times)

Joe Vanni

sirius radio
« on: March 01, 2012, 02:15:41 AM »
Has anyone added Sirius or Xm to their Visteon radio?  I have '05 Monterey and would like to add the Sirius of XM service.
Thanks,Joe

Dave Porter

Re: sirius radio
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 02:51:07 AM »
Hi Joe!  We also own a 2005 Monterey and have installed a Starmate 4 with a different coach radio (maybe a Magnadyne) but I don't think the brand of radio will make a lot of difference.  We already had the Starmate installed in our daily driver so all we bought was another car kit (giving us a cradle, 12v adapter and antenna) and a "FM Direct Adapter".  As far as I'm concerned the FM adapter is worth it's weight in gold.  I installed the cradle over the existing radio and poked wires out over the top of the simulated rose wood panel.  I plugged the 12v adapter into the the outlet near the drivers right leg.  An easy crawl under the dash is necessary to reach the antenna input to the radio.  Essentially you plug the coach antenna into the FM Direct Adapter and the adapter into the antenna input on the radio.  You'll want to do a little wire tidying at some point.  I've got my antenna sitting on the dash and it generally works ok but I'm in Georgia and probably further south than you.  You might want to start here and then see if you need to move the antenna to a different location.  There are a couple of other threads in this forum that talk about getting the antenna up to the roof but so far, I haven't been bored enough to take that project on.  Sirius has an application to identify the "best" channel to tune both the Sirius receiver and the coach radio to for optimal performance.  This is really a simple project if you keep it simple.

Hope that helps....

Dave