Author Topic: Oil Change- Conventional or Synthetic?  (Read 4342 times)

Larry and Heidi Lee

Oil Change- Conventional or Synthetic?
« on: March 01, 2012, 05:56:26 PM »
Its that time of the year to perform my C9 annual oil change myself and would like to hear what type of oil some of you are using. We only drive maybe 2500 miles a year on our 05 Monterey so I'm wondering if a synthetic has any advantage. Rotella offers a synthetic for around $25 a gallon whereas a conventional like Mobil Delvac 1300 Super is only $12.99 a gallon. It's not really about the cost but more so I dont like wasteful spending.

Gerald Farris

Re: Oil Change- Conventional or Synthetic?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 08:23:47 PM »
Larry,
The only advantage that I see to synthetic engine oil in your coach is that it will very slightly reduce engine friction and therefore give you a very slight increase in fuel mileage, however it will not save you any where near the added expense of the increased oil cost.

Synthetic oil does not increase your oil change interval according to Cat, and even though it may increase engine life expectancy marginally, the engine in your coach should run 6 to 8 hundred thousand miles on conventional oil. So why would you want to extend the engine life longer than the 240 years it has at you current use rate.

In other words, I think that synthetic oil in your engine would be a waste of money.

Gerald

Larry and Heidi Lee

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 10:41:55 PM »
Thanks Gerald, this is just what I needed to hear. I need to remember this is just a piece of machinery that I'm not taking with me through the pearly gates!

Joel Weiss

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 10:48:42 PM »
Quote from: Larry and Heidi Lee
Thanks Gerald, this is just what I needed to hear. I need to remember this is just a piece of machinery that I'm not taking with me through the pearly gates!

I don't know about you guys, but my coach has given me something to live for.  At my current mileage rate I am hoping to get my CAT "million mile" T-shirt before I'm 150! ;D