Author Topic: Oil resivoir  (Read 4323 times)

rex unicume

Oil resivoir
« on: March 06, 2012, 06:05:57 PM »
I have a 1997 Beaver Patriot with the Cat engine.
In the rear basement compartment where you check the oil etc. there is a large resivoir with a large fuel type cap.
There is liquid inside but I don't know what it is for.
It appears to go to the engine but I don't know what for and what lubricant goes into it.
Cheers
Rex

Edward Buker

Re: Oil resivoir
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 07:26:40 PM »
Rex,

Might be good to post a photo or give an exact position so that we are sure of what information we are providing you. My suspicion is that it is the power steering and fan drive fluid (if side radiator) which is auto transmission fluid (Dexron 3 in your coaches era). The follow ons to Dexron 3, Dexron 4,5 etc are compatible with that fluid. You can dip your finger in and check the color, if redish and oily that is what it most likely is.

Later Ed

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 07:54:03 PM »
We have a 1997 Beaver Patriot with the CAT3126 Engine like yours. It should be blue and is one of three hydraulic fluid reservoirs and was shipped with Dexron III ATF and is the supply for the hydraulic pump on the rear of the engine that supplies the side mounted cooling fan. The plastic one on the rear behind the rear access is for the power steering pump. Behind the guages and remote jack and start switch panel is a round one that is for the RVA hydraulic jacks and slide out cylinder if equipted.

The only way to get to the one  for the jacks behind the one you are looking at is to crawl under the  rig and open the vented cap on top. If it needs fluid you put a jack down six inches and fill till the light goes out. (two person Job and one will get dirty)

All of the reservoirs use Dexron III or higher ATF fluid.  

rex unicume

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 08:45:13 PM »
Thanks guys
This is great information.
Really appreciate you taking the time.
I think by the time I figure everything out I will be in a wheelchair.
Cheers
Rex

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 09:53:19 PM »
Rex, we are glad to help. Welcome to BAC