Author Topic: Coach batteries  (Read 17824 times)

Dave Blystone

Re: Coach batteries
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 11:11:46 PM »
A couple oz. of mineral oil in each cell will stop all the mess, by holding all the liquid in the gas in the battery.  We do it in the marine industry.  It keeps the boat bilge much cleaner.  Some battery companys will say that it will void warranty.  Check with them, but I have never seen a problem doing it.  It also holds the acid in the battery, makeing checking and refilling less often.

dave and edie
20901 patriot 33
3126 cat
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 05:32:00 AM by 14 »

David Fischer

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 02:27:57 AM »
I have US Battery deep cell batteries on my coach, and bought them at a Costco in Tucson while passing through 6 years ago.  They are still going strong.  The Costco's in Albuquerque do not handle them, and I would buy the same again when I need them.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 05:34:06 AM by 14 »

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 02:43:58 PM »
Joel
What is POR15 paint, and where do you get it?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 04:59:57 PM by 235 »

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 03:46:05 PM »
You can order POR 15 on the web; check Amazon.  Don't buy large cans as it's virtually impossible to open the lid a second time.  They have starter kits with everything you need.  I just did my battery trays and few other areas.  I would not get the glossy one as it will not look as good as satin.

Gil

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 04:24:49 PM »
I guess I still don't get it, you spend a hundred thousand or more four your coach, make payments of hundreds of dollars a month, spend a hundred or two at the guess pump to fill your tank, but won't spend $100 a year for zero maintenance batteries.  To me the extra cost for the AGM's over their 6 or 7 year life is a no brainier.

Larry and Heidi Lee

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 02:48:38 AM »
Tim, I'm scratching my head too! I think at the very least invest in a cell filling kit. Every month I just plug the filling bulb into the supply line to the batteries and the other end in a jug of distiller water. After five to eight squeezes of the bulb it halts by itself so you know all the batterie cells for all four batteries are full! Takes a whopping five minutes and is kinda fun.  

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 06:34:09 AM »
As Gil indicated, I've purchased products directly from www.por15.com.  Get their 6-pack if you'll be storing any;  once opened, half the time remaining paint is dried hard next time.  Using cellophane as they recommend in instructions can limit that.  Order one of their kits with surface preparation products so you can do the job right.  I think you can now get their products at some retail outlets also.

Some of us have a pretty tight budget after basic coach ownership expenses, Tim.  In order to afford to actually use the rig, especially on a fixed income in the face of a recession and increasing fuel and camping costs, splurging on AGMs and autofill devices becomes a luxury reserved for better times.   I've been dealing with wet cells since growing up on a farm, and owning a couple motor homes and a livaboard sport cruiser.  If I can save money by spending know-how time on maintenance, I will.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat