General Boards > Technical Support

My Hydro Hot leaking hot water.  Ideas?

(1/1)

Bill Sprague:
I noticed a small puddle under the motorhome yesterday.  The Hydro-Hot was leaking.  I crawled under, pulled off the back cover and found the (cheap) plastic fitting attached to the copper hot water outlet was dripping slowly.  It had grown a generous supply of hard water deposits, so it has been leaking for awhile!   I've not noticed the water pump running when dry camping (except to fill the ice maker after I fill the martini shaker with ice).  I didn't notice a puddle when we were parked on warm concrete in Havasu.  

There are three of the same elbow fittings that connect short pieces of PEX to the mixing valve.  I loosened and then tightened the collar of the leaking fitting with channel locks and the drip stopped.  It is probably about an 1/8 turn tighter.  I'm afraid the (cheap) plastic fitting has failed or will fail.  It is the second or third time I've had to tighten that fitting.  I think the expansion and contraction with temperature changes in the heating cycle causes it to loosen very slowly.  

Any suggestions on what to replace it with for a permanent fix?  It has to be a very short elbow fitting because the mixing valve is mounted close to it.  Should I try to use a brass elbow?  

Thanks in advance.

LarryNCarolynShirk:
Bill,

I suggest you phone Orman Claxton (in BAC Directory) for advice.

Larry

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version