Author Topic: dometic new dimensions fridge  (Read 5005 times)

Dave Cunningham

dometic new dimensions fridge
« on: September 05, 2012, 10:48:05 PM »
Hi everyone, having issues with my Dometic fridge, 2000 marquis can't remember the model , but it is that 36'' wide side by side that they used back then, first it was not working properly on AC , the freezer worked great, but the fridge would not cool, when switched to propane it worked perfectly , every one I have talked to says that it is the cooling unit, but how could it work so well on propane .
anyway now it won't come on at all, and I think it is a separate issue, when you hit the on button on the upper control panel , one of the leds on the temperature display lights up for a half second and that is it, checked the fuses on the board and they look ok,
any ideas?
also any tips on where to find a used replacement, can't seem to find any on the internet, and I don't want to go to a residential style

thanks

Dave

LarryNCarolynShirk

Re: dometic new dimensions fridge
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 12:38:10 AM »
Worth a try. (free)
Try the connections on the AC heater elements on the fridg.  If loose or corroded, they will cause problems.

Larry

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 03:05:05 AM »
Dave,
There are some conflicts in your symptoms. Your refrigerator only has one cooling unit for both the refrigerator and freezer. So if the performance of one side is impaired, the other side will not cool adequately either.

Your first complaint sounds like a leak in the cooling unit. A leaking cooling unit will sometimes give acceptable performance in the right temperature range if the leak is slow as the unit is discharging.

Your second complaint sounds like a malfunctioning refrigerator control module. However the are several other possibilities for both problems. So the only solution to your problem is to properly trouble shoot the unit.

The last time that I was at Northwest RV Supply in Eugene Oregon, they had a new surplus refrigerator like yours in stock, if you need a replacement. However I think that a new cooling unit will only cost 1/2 as much as a new refrigerator.

Gerald  

Dave Cunningham

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 12:34:47 AM »
Thanks guys,
I know it seems strange that only the freezer works on AC, and it works perfectly on propane, but that is what is happening. Thanks Gerald, for the tip on NW RV.  I was there a few months ago, and did not notice that unit, but I will give them a call.  As for diagnostics, I have a guy coming to look at it tomorrow.  Most of these RV guys in VIctoria B.C where I live, are fairly useless, but I will see what he comes up with.

Thanks,

Dave
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 04:02:33 AM by 14 »