Author Topic: Electric Dump Valve  (Read 8770 times)

Dick Yuhnke

Electric Dump Valve
« on: January 07, 2012, 03:13:19 PM »
I have an '06 Beaver Patriot Thunder, which has the electric dump valves that are located on the passenger side of the coach, while the control switches are located on the driver side service panel.  These dump valves have basically never worked.  Every time I needed to dump tanks, I went around to the side where the valves are located, and manually turned the screw that is connected to the valve.  Once I got it opened just a little bit, then pushing the switch, would go ahead and fully open the valve.  Once I was finished dumping, the switch would sometimes close the valve(s) and sometimes not.  If not, then I'd have to go around and turn the screw to start the valve closing, then press the button to finish.  Now the head on the screw for the grey valve has broken, and I will have to replace the valve.  I read in a thread that valves made by Valtera are better than ones supplied by the Monaco parts center.  Does anyone have an input as to which type of valve I should purchase?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 07:51:12 PM by 14 »

Ron Rowe

Re: Electric Dump Valve
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 05:54:26 PM »
I also have an '06 PT, and had to replace my valves (same problem as you are having). I used Drain Master valves. http://www.drainmaster.com .  They tell me that these are now an improved valve than previous ones; so far so good.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 07:52:29 PM by 14 »

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 06:52:34 PM »
I have also replaced one with a new Drain Master, and have had no probems. You need to be sure that the valve drive mechanism is mounted in some vertical fashion. The more vertical the better. Some were mounted by Beaver with the drive on the horizontal and they failed early, due to binding from contaminants getting into the drive.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 07:53:21 PM by 14 »

CharlesYuhnke

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 11:12:17 PM »
1.  The way mine are installed is such that the blade of the valve is perfectly horizontal.  This may be the problem.  Nevertheless, I'll look into the Drain Master valve.  Any chance you have the part number?  and also, are the electrical connectors ready and compatible with the ones on the coach?

Jay and Raylene Todd

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 11:14:24 PM »
I also have an '06 Thunder. The black tank valve has not been working and I recently purchased a Valtera valve to replace it. I like the design of the Valtera valve and the fact that it has a manual handle style valve that is pushed or pulled to open or close by the motor. Slip the handle out of the drive system and operate it manually if the motor fails. I haven't installed it yet as you can't replace both of the original valves with the Valtera valves - there isn't room. The new Drain Master valve looks like a direct replacement for the original valve but it would have to be in the horizontal position due to the configuration of the tank drains. I guess the advantage to the Drain Masters is that I wouldn't have to replace the wiring or switches. Decisions, decisions ...

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 01:01:43 AM »
Hi Jay,
On our '06 we have had the Ele. removed for the old manual system.  I know its a pain in the rear with the back and forth during the service.  It was explained to me that the original values that Monaco use had never been meant for horizontal use, this problem is further induced by weight in the tanks.  In my rig I have all the Electrical still in place, so we would like to change back if the value has improvement.
JIm Contratto installed the Ele. values in his rig at the Harrisburg tally and should be able to give you a report on how well they have worked.

Try sending a message to Jim and Carol his email is jccontratto@earthlink.net
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 06:05:13 AM by 14 »
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Jay and Raylene Todd

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 06:43:08 PM »
Thanks for the info Jerry. I just sent him a message. By-the-by, we don't have the winter service switch on our coach so my water problem still exists. That would have been just too easy ...

Edward Buker

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 09:25:51 PM »
Not sure of your tank configuration but this tank style is on a 2002 Marquis. I did not think the valve would fit vertically but it did, just barely.  My Blackwater tank is on the left with no problems in 3 years now with the valve mounted vertically. The grey tank on the right is an original valve still running after 10 years and has a slight upward angle from the original install. With the new improved valve design it may be enough to just have some upward tilt but I'm sure the more the better.

Later Ed

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 04:49:11 PM »
On the 06 its a very  different design!
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Gerald Farris

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 05:20:06 PM »
From want I understand about the 06 Patriot, the problem with the electric dump valves is low voltage at the valve actuator. Monaco ran very small wiring and used a small switch, so the operating voltage at the actuators in the 8V range for the 12V actuator.

Since the actuator operates on a bidirectional circuit, the repair is not as simple as the low voltage headlight repair where you simple add in a relay. It seems like the best repair is new low resistance switches and higher capacity wiring.

Gerald

Charles Burden

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 08:39:52 PM »
We too have a '06 Beaver Patriot Thunder.  When brand new the Monaco installed electric valves would not work consistently.  After frustrating times and eventually using the screw override until they broke I replaced them with Valtera.  That was in '07.  We have not had a failure since.  We even installed the dump switches in the toilet room.  What a convenience!  I use Calcon bath oil beads (about a tablespoon) about once a month to keep some lubrication on the rubber seals inside the valve.  I can't say too much about the Valtera valves.  They are great.  No voltage issues, no failures, little or no maintenance.  Easy to install also.  

Jay and Raylene Todd

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 12:40:52 AM »
Charles,

I would love to see a picture of your installation. I have yet to figure out how to replace both valves with the Valtera type.