Author Topic: PAC BRAKE'S NEW PRXB EXHAUST BRAKE  (Read 8044 times)

LEAH DRAPER

PAC BRAKE'S NEW PRXB EXHAUST BRAKE
« on: July 22, 2009, 02:28:04 PM »
Am planning to have Henderson's Line Up in Oregon add/change my PacBrake to the New PRXB brake that will give greater braking than the installed exhaust brake on the Cat C-9 (425 hp).  Does/has anyone any experience with this this new Brake?  Would really appreciate some feedback ya'all.

Have 2008 Beaver Contessa, towing a PT Cruiser.

JimLNichols

Re: PAC BRAKE'S NEW PRXB EXHAUST BRAKE
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 02:44:05 AM »
  I installed the PRXB myself in a half an hour. Two clamps and one air line for the ram. I purchaced it direct from Pac Brake in March 2008 for $800 + freight.  We now have 15,000 on the brake. The only difference is lower rpm braking. I'm happy with it.

We have a 2005 Montery 36' w/4 slides c9 400hp 32,800lb. Towing 2006 Saturn Vue 4,200lb.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 02:57:53 AM »
There are two types of exhaust brakes used on the 2008 C9 Contessa. If your coach has a diesel particulate filter with a variable geometry turbocharger and a regenerator, the PRXB exhaust brake is not normally recommended.

The other type uses a conventional exhaust brake (Pacbrake). If this is what you have, it is very simple to install the new design Pacbrake.

I know of one Contessa owner that has had this done, and he said that even though the braking was improved, especially at lower RPM's, that it was not the major improvement that was advertised. If you keep the RPM's up (as per operating instructions) when using the Pacbrake, you will probably not notice the difference.

Gerald    

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 01:40:57 PM »
We looked into it about a year ago and aftr talking to several diesel mechanics and RV net etc decided the pain ($$) out weighed the gain in preformance which is only at lower RPM mentioned above.

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 01:52:33 PM »
Gerald,  Why would the brake in the case you describe below, not be recommended?  Can you be more specific, I certainly would not want to damage the engine or invalidate any warranty.

There are two types of exhaust brakes used on the 2008 C9 Contessa. If your coach has a diesel particulate filter with a variable geometry turbocharger and a regenerator, the PRXB exhaust brake is not normally recommended.

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 02:35:59 PM »
http://catrvclub.org/links.htm and call the CAT call center number with your engine SN and build and they will help you.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 03:16:42 PM »
On coaches with a diesel particulate filter with a variable geometry turbocharger and a regenerator, a Pacbrake is not recommended because the exhaust braking is accomplished by the variable geometry turbocharger. It is computer controlled in combination with the regenerator and diesel particulate filter sensors. If you are able to add a Pacbrake inline after the regenerator, it would have to be coordinated with the emission system to not work when the regenerator is running. There may also be a need to change the programming on the turbocharger. All in all, it is more complicated than it is worth.

Gerald  

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 09:22:33 PM »
Want to thank you Gerald for a more detailed explanation which enabled me to obtain more specific information.  I just spoke with a representative from PacBrake about the DPF (diesel particulate filter) and he confirmed that the new upgraded Brake can not and does not work with the DPF ON THE CAT C9 engine.  Very disappointing to say the least.  Guess I'll just have to cut holes in the floor boards and drag my feet!

Again Thanks Gerald!