Author Topic: Windshield wipers  (Read 4500 times)

Tom Nathan

• BAC Member
Windshield wipers
« on: April 20, 2012, 04:06:06 PM »
Need help adjusting wipers to sync. together. Sunday drove from Denver to Mcminnville,Oregon and encountered 35mph cross winds in Wyoming that flipped drivers wiper on 06 Monterey off windshield. Stopped and tried adjusting with nut on arm and will not sync. with the right wiper. Had a mobile mechanic look at and he thinks I need to get to the arm on motor and to that linkage that ties the two together. Any thoughts as Its rained here for 3 days?[size=14][/size]
Tom Nathan<br />2006 Monterey Cat C9-400/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee/ 24ft Haulmark Transporter Trailer

Bill Brown

Re: Windshield wipers
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 04:47:09 PM »
Tom,
I had a similar problem with the driver's side wiper on our coach.  Our problem turned out to be that the nut that secured the wiper arm to the post on the coach was loose.  I shut wipers off, so that the arms would/could go to park.  Then placed the affected arm in the proper place and secured the retaining nut.  I often check the retaining nut to ensure it remains tight.  Maybe this could help?
Bill Brown
06 Monterey, Laguna IV
Cat-400

Mike Merchant

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 08:42:24 PM »
Tom,

In our 06 Monty we had the exact experience southbound on I-5, fortunately just 15 miles north of Coburg,Or in a blinding rainstorm. Pulled into Monaco and were advised that the drivers side arm from the wiper motor to the wiper was made 1/4th inch to short in that yeargroup. This could result in the wiper getting blown off to the drivers side and locked at the " 9 o'clock" position. Overnight air got us a new arm from Indiana which turned out to be the same length as OEM. Monaco tech cut it in half, bolted in a 1/4inch section and reinstalled.

It was then that we all discovered the real problem which was a cracked motor housing where the drive shaft comes out allowing too much free play and the resulting blow off to the drivers side with severe cross winds.

Bottom line: have 'em check the shaft length and the motor housing,its a 15-30 min fix once you have the right answer.........................Mike

Tom Nathan

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 02:14:55 AM »
Mike -- Thanks for the info.. We have an appointment at Monaco for May 4th and will follow thru with your suggestions. Thanks
Tom Nathan<br />2006 Monterey Cat C9-400/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee/ 24ft Haulmark Transporter Trailer