Author Topic: Honda CRV Towing  (Read 7802 times)

Mel Griffin

Honda CRV Towing
« on: April 19, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »
I just put a base plate on my 2006 Honda CRV, two wheel drive. Any tips on what I should or

shouldn't do to the Honda before towing ?

LarryNCarolynShirk

Re: Honda CRV Towing
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 07:19:39 PM »
Mel,

Read the owner's manual about recreational towing a 2WD.  Follow those directions.

I always towed a 4WD, so your directions may be different.

Larry

Dave Porter

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 01:07:53 AM »
Hi Mel.  I also just bought a 2006 CRV and it already had a Blue Ox faceplate installed.  I do have the owners manual and would be happy to copy the towing section, just in case you need it.  I'm curious as to how you are going to handle the brake light wiring.  I've seen 4 and 6 diode kits, a product called a towdaddy, and the Blue Ox kit that adds a bulb to the taillight assembly.  I'm not leaning towards the Blue Ox kit and I guess it's just the idea of adding a light that is off center in the lens base.  I've also read about battery charging circuits from the coach to the toad.  Some say it's needed, others suggest it's an overkill.  So if you have any experiences to share, I'm all ears.

Many thanks!

Mel Griffin

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 04:46:27 PM »
Dave,

The Co. that did the Base Plate also did the wiring, I have a plug on the front, they ran new wires

with a wiring kit and used diodes, anyway lights work perfect.

Miami Mel

Robert Mathis

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 07:02:02 PM »
I used to tow a Honda Pilot and I had to pull the ignition fuse to keep the battery from running down. Later, I replaced the fuse with a circuit breaker wired in thru a fuse I deliberately blew. Not only was it easier to use when towing, it "theft-proofed" the car. Look in the manual and it will telll you what fuse to pull.

Tom Kaye

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 03:21:59 AM »
I towed a 2010 CRV. I used the Blue Ox bulb kit and ran the wiring without using the cars as it would have effected the warranty. I had a lot of problems with the battery going dead after very short periods of time. The fuse box on the 2010 it was not in a handy place to pull fuses and I used an even brake in the car which required power. It towed less than 2 hours using the even brake before the battery was to low to operate the brakes. I took it back and had Honda replace the battery and it was not only dead but needed replacement within 10 months. A buddy of mine had his 2012 CRV wired to charge his battery off his coach and he has had much better luck so far.

neil omalley

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 11:55:45 PM »
Hi Mel ( or would you rather be called Miami) I tow a 2004 Honda CRV all time all wheel drive.  Check your owners manual- but all I have to do to mine in shift through all shift positions and idle for three minutes in neutral -turn off engine but leave key in on position.  I also have added a wire to charge the battery from the coach as I drive.  I use a Brake Buddy brake assist and was having trouble keeping the 15 amp fuse from the cigarette lighter position.  Brake Buddy sent me a kit that required I connect direct to the battery.  ie a seperate circuit for the BB