Author Topic: Keyless Entry  (Read 9604 times)

Terry Henricks

Keyless Entry
« on: May 18, 2012, 12:27:09 AM »
My essex AKE-5 is bad.  Anyone have a idea on new one?  Is it still a good model?  Don't know if it locks bays or has a alarm.  It's the touch pad at entry door.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 04:51:24 PM by 6766 »

Dick Reichelt

Re: Keyless Entry
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 06:42:22 PM »
Got my replacement from BMC at Bend. It came with pigtail and plug. Easy install.
Not cheap. Cost was 199.95 + freight.

Regards,
Dick Reichelt

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 06:58:39 PM »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 07:42:03 PM »
Not to get far off Terry's inquiry, but a note regarding these units:  our original, the touchpad of which looks just like Tim's photo, was replaced under warranty when relatively new because water deactivated it.  The replacement, as it turned out, also reacted to rain and wash water, and wouldn't work until it dried.  Rather than pay for another replacement after reporting the ongoing issue to my tech at BCS in bend a couple weeks ago, he suggested that he try super-sealing the frame/coach interface and also the touch pad where it mounts inside its frame with silicone.  I've yet to try soaking it to see if it will work when wet.  

The other thing is they are supposedly capable of turning the porch light on, but apparently that depends on whether the coach has the wire required for that function, which as it turns out, ours in theory does not, according to one tech;  although there is such a wire off my Magnadyne module going to relay K23 in the electric bay.  Turning on the patio light from outside would certainly be handy when returning home on a dark night, but for whatever reason, our pad won't do that.  I see the remotes on Tim's photo don't have a seperate cargo door unlock function.  Ours has that plus a cargo lock button, although it doesn't actually function;  go figure.

So there is more than one keypad out there and several function options or capabilities with each, not to mention a dependency on your rig's specific prewire configuration, in our case a Magnadyne receiver under the dash access port.

Joel
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 08:35:36 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jeff Watt

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 11:55:12 PM »
Last year for some still unexplained bizarre reason, I inadvertently locked myself out of the motorhome - both set of keys inside and a dead keypad. This was shortly after buying the coach. Called the PO and he had never used the keypad so didn't know the number. In any event the keypad was mostly dead, i.e. a couple of the touch pads didn't work. So fortunately having the equipment literature box in the house I called Essex Electronics:

http://www.keyless.com/post.htm

and spoke with John Echols, who being a trusting sole, told me how to break into the coach via the keypad. SO I did what he said and got into the coach. I then called about getting a replacement keypad from them. He told me the replacement model # BUT said to get it through A-1 Electric; cheaper and faster service. Did so and voila a few days later had a new keypad, simply plugged it in and reset and it worked.

My problem is the key fobs don't work and I'll be damned if I can find the re-set button for them - somewhere in the deep dark reaches of under the dash likely. Not a big deal as I use the keypad a lot and I think even if the fobs were working I'd still use the key pad.

PM me if you want the way to get into the coach if locked out and for A-1's phone #.

Jeff

Terry Henricks

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 01:36:34 AM »
THANKS ALL FOR YOUR HELP.TERRY