Author Topic: Battery charger fault  (Read 3778 times)

Bill Borden

Battery charger fault
« on: May 23, 2012, 04:03:04 PM »
On a recent trip thru Arizona the Heart interface panel displayed a fault in the battrry charging system when connected to shore power.
When I checked on the charger it also showed a red light indicating a fault. Both ac's were on the first time, but this happen a few times, even when running on generator and without any load. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting to reset the display and charger (by tripping the breaker) and it cleared the fault but it came back.

The house battery's are a year & half old and they are holding a charge, has anyone seen this before, is the charger failing?  What could be causing the fault?

Any help on trouble shooting this problem would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Bill

Dick Simonis

Re: Battery charger fault
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 06:34:37 PM »
How does the voltage look on the coach monitor panel.  That will tell you if the inverter is charging properly.

The Heart are prone to failure and are generally considered unrepairable.  

Bill Borden

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 11:41:38 PM »
When the unit faults out, it just shows the battery state of 12 volts and it lights up the 15 volt led.

Today I spoke to Xanterx, the manufacture of the inverter/charger and the Heart monitor. Their thought was that the Freedom Combi overheated and faulted.  

So this might have caused because there was not enough air circulation, or the fan is failing, or the a temp sensor is failing.

So I checked, and it may be possible that too much stuff was too close, so that has been moved.  So I have trying to get it to heat up to see if the fan comes on or not.

I will post what I find out.

Thanks for your input,

Bill
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 07:01:30 AM by 14 »

Bill Borden

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 07:13:11 AM »
Here's an update. Turns out the Freedom Inverter/changer is overheating, the fan isnt't running that's why it's faulting out.

So a new Freedom is on the way.