Author Topic: Squeek in Front wheel  (Read 4789 times)

Jim Shaw

Squeek in Front wheel
« on: August 05, 2009, 05:36:41 PM »
I have a 2003 Beaver Monterey with air brakes. They are drum brakes, not disc. I jacked up the each front wheel today to check for noise or roughness. The left side was fine. The right side makes a squeeking noise wheh you turn the wheel. It is not a bearing noise. It sounds like a disc brake indicater does when your pads are low. It is not constant, but comes and go with each turn of the wheel. I can see the brake lining good when I crawl underneath and it is fine. since the brakes are open in the back could it be a rock or gravel that has got into the drum? I do not have a way to remove the lug nuts. Has anyone pulled the drum with the wheel still attached? I have done this on a car, but nothing as heavy as a motorhome wheel and drum.
Thanks Jim
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 04:23:37 AM by 14 »

Gerald Farris

Re: Squeek in Front wheel
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 07:22:17 PM »
There is a good chance that a rock or piece of gravel is causing your noise. Most drum brakes have a backing plate that covers the inside opening for the brake drum to prevent this from happening. Some truck (RV) and trailer drum brake applications do not use a backing plate to increase the air flow in the brake drum area for increased cooling, but this allows debris from the road to enter the brake drum.

You have to remove the wheel to remove the brake drum. On most applications the brake drum will just slide off the hub with the wheel removed. Most of the time, the rock will just grind up to powder and fall out of the drum with no damage to the brake.                

Gerald

Jim Shaw

Re: Squeek in Front wheel
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 08:15:53 PM »
Thanks Gerald, I will be taking a 250 mile thip in a couple of weeks so I will check it again after that. I am not sure about RV's, but on most cars the rear drum will come off the hub. The front drum comes off with the hub, could be different on the RV. Hopefully the noise goes away and I want have to worry about it.