Author Topic: Over the Air TV  (Read 12647 times)

Brad Burgess

Over the Air TV
« on: June 19, 2012, 07:08:03 PM »
Hello All

For the first time in 5 1/2 years of rving I am attempting to use the OTA antenna to provide a feed to our front TV, a Sharp Aquos LC-32GA5U LCD unit.  I have turned on the antenna amplifier and set the TV to the OTA antenna input but am unable to receive any OTA stations, even after performing the "scan" function.  Since I am totally inexperienced in OTA usage any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard And Babs Ames

Re: Over the Air TV
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 07:23:31 PM »
Does your TV have Digital Reception Ability? Last year TV over the air went digital. If your TV is more the 4 or 5 years old it may require a converter for OTA. The manufacturer of the TV or Owners manual can help.

If it does your imput selection switchs have to be changed from cable to antenna. and may be more than one selection switch.  

Joel Weiss

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 10:09:33 PM »
I just Googled your TV model and all the reviews were from the ~2005 timeframe.  TV's made prior to,I believe, ~2007 were not required to have digital OTA tuners built in even if they were capable of displaying high def signals.  It was a stupid rule in effect for only a couple of years  but the manufacturers were quick to use it to avoid the cost of the tuner.  We had TVs like that in our 2005 MH.  If I'm correct that you don't have a digital tuner you will have to buy a converter box or a new TV.  

The problem with converter boxes is that most of them are designed to output a standard definition analog signal which means you would lose the benefit of having an HD TV.  For our 2005 MH I was able to purchase digital OTA tuners, not converter boxes, which could output a high def signal to the TV, maybe such devices are still available.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 12:28:20 AM »
The 32" Sharp in our '06 Monterey has an analog tuner;  I had to add a converter box up in the overhead with the A/V components in order to view digital signals off-air.  You'll probably have to add one to the 20" TV in the bedroom as well.  I also bought an additional sensor to stick on the converter's front, and attached it to the existing IR "eye" so the converter's remote would work with the wood A/V cabinet door closed if needed.  That would be handy for the bedroom TV also.  As I recall, I think I got a "pass through" type of converter, which can pass through the rare UHF analog signals one might come across, so no matter what the source you'll get a picture.

I'm considering letting Beaver Coach Sales revamp my setup up front to improve the whole shebang;  there are better A/V components now and they recommend a 40" digital TV, since that Sharp has side speakers that make for an already large opening, side-to-side.  They just need to extend the wood frame ddwn an inch and a half, and maybe redo the speaker system.  But it ain't cheap at about 2 to 2.5K, which includes the new components, and depends on the level of TV you want;  I don't need 3D for example.  But the revamp ends up with same-brand components and only one master remote, instead of 3 or 4 we have now!

As a side note, I often can't get a picture in certain areas unless the antenna is actually down!  Also, the amplifier in some venues is too much power boost, and does more harm than good;  so sometimes it's better with the little green lamp off up in the cabinet.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Joel Weiss

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 03:49:41 AM »
Quote from: Richard Cooper
Speaking of the antenna ... Has anyone replaced that screw up/down antenna?  If so, with what?  I like and prefer OTA tv because it's FREE!  My HDTV reception is excellent so far, but wonder if a chande or addition to that antenna would bring in more channels and better signals.

I added the Winegard Wingman accessory to the old antenna and I get more than adequate OTA reception.  It's an inexpensive add-on ($25) and easy to install.  the purpose of the accessory is to give the antenna more gain in the old UHF band where most digital channels are.

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 05:21:47 AM »
I looked at the manual and specs for that Sharp TV and it does not have a digital capable tuner built in. You could try a digital tuner converter box but I think you would be much happier with a new TV with the tuner built in performance and remote usage wise.  My coach was wired with RG59 which is not a good handler of high bandwidth digital signals. You can over come much of the losses and improve your system a lot by eliminating all of the splitters, non digitally rated barrel connectors (blue core are good) and employing a modern distribution amp. The three pictures attached are the original rats nest of splitters, the amp I used (buy one with just enough ports to distribute to the coach) and then the finished job. The two leads on one side is the antenna signal in and a coax I used to bring power to the amp and the other 4 ports are outputs to the front tv, rear tv, bose fm, and the bay coax outlet. On long runs to the bedroom this made a large difference. These amps are around $40 on Amazon. It helps with the cable signal also from your outside panel. If this did not do the job I would then go after a better roof antenna.

Later Ed

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 05:25:00 AM »
The original rats nest....missed on one of the photos

Later Ed

Edward Buker

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 07:24:13 PM »
My choice would be the Wineguard Sensar 4. The batwing portion is for VHF channels 2-13 which see less use today in the HDTV world. There is an add on wingman uhf passive director that you can screw on to existing units but it is just a passive director that is added to earlier sensor antennas. The Sensar 4 actively couples the 14 on up UHF channel elements and therfor handles and amplifies the UHF signal in a more optimum way. The Sensar 4 head can also be retrofitted to an earlier batwing set up but it requires 16 inches of space on the roof in the collapsed position. The advantage of the Sensar design is you can rotate it to maximize the signal, it is high off the roof while in use to better gather signal due to less obstruction and rooftop interference. They are well made and proven, this is just the latest evolution of a good design.

Later Ed

Joel Weiss

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 10:46:09 PM »
We don't use the OTA antenna all that often, but when we do we get totally acceptable results with just the simple Wingman add-on.

Brad Burgess

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 08:46:52 PM »
Hello All

Thank you everyone who responded to my request.  TV does not have a built-in digital tuner.  Since we are leaving Scottsdale (112 degrees today) on 7/3 I do not have time to install a new TV.  Will purchase a tuner and install it for now.

Thanks again,

Brad Burgess

Richard Cooper

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 09:12:48 PM »
I recently ordered a very crisp and clear LED HDTV by Toshiba from Amazon for much lower price than Best Buy (Worst Buy) -- about $230 and got 2 day free shipping and no sales tax.  I got a small sized one, but it only weighs 8 lbs. --- 24 inch.  You will find that the articulating mounts available through Amazon are priced at a fraction of what retailers charge too.  Got my mount for less than $14 --- swings out, does 360 degree swivel, up, down, right, left.

The technology is changing fast, prices are dropping.  A really neat feature a friend got on his bedroom tv in his home is wireless internet access in the tv for playing movies and accessing movies on your pc too.  I think that was Vizio from Costco.

Don Kugle

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 11:25:46 PM »
Recently installed a "Jack HDTV" digital antenna to replace an old Winegard crank up unit.  This unit is low proflle (about the height of a roof top ac enclosure) and simply rotates to get best signal.  Has an indicator showing signal strength inside at the rotator knob (installs in the same hole that was used for the Winegard).  This unit works great.  Have a new Vizio digital tv with it that gets around 70 to 80 digital channels (Houston area).  Range is great.  Don't have to worry about lowering it when you drive.  Good solution for OTA reception.