Author Topic: Door Latch  (Read 5900 times)

Dick Simonis

Door Latch
« on: June 17, 2012, 06:19:32 PM »
Another niggling little problem has popped up.

The door latch doesn't want to release when opening.  I can get it OK but Pat is having a tough time and I don't want her to break a nail in the process.

When pulling the outside handle, the catch only releases at the very end of the travel and then with a hard pull.  Sometimes pushing on the door helps but it feels like one of these days it won't release.  From the inside, no problem.

Anyone else had this happen??

Thanks.

Dick

Forrest King

Re: Door Latch
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 07:20:05 PM »
Yes I have the same problem would like to know how to fix. I've removed the latch an checked all adjustments  also lubricated every thing still doing the same. 2006 Montery

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 10:36:14 PM »
This isn't the first time such an issue has come up on the Forum.  Use the Search feature or Tags to find previous discussions about entry door latching problems and resolutions.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

John Harris

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 10:56:53 PM »
where does one find the search feature?
1999 Monterey  30 ft. Trinidad 3126b<br />Toad = 1999 Jeep Wrangler 2 door hardtop

Joel Weiss

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 11:04:30 PM »
Quote from: John Harris
where does one find the search feature?

On the pink bar at the top that has "home/calendar/search/member center/logout on it

John Harris

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 05:13:16 AM »
Found it, Thanks!
1999 Monterey  30 ft. Trinidad 3126b<br />Toad = 1999 Jeep Wrangler 2 door hardtop

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 04:54:36 AM »
John,

My door acts the same way.  My solution is to push on the door, then pull the handle.  You can adjust the latch post on the door frame to make it looser, but you may experience a rattling door.  Silicone spray on the latch and post helps.

Larry

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 01:44:52 PM »
Quote from: LarryNCarolynShirk
John,

My door acts the same way.  My solution is to push on the door, then pull the handle.  You can adjust the latch post on the door frame to make it looser, but you may experience a rattling door.  Silicone spray on the latch and post helps.

Larry

Same here. Press on the corner of the door when pulling the handle. In our case it is the corner towards the rear.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 02:11:37 PM »
I just had mine fixed by BCS yesterday.  It seems the problem was an adjustment in the linkage for the outside handle.  All is well.

They started off by adjusting the post but I showed them the problem was actaully in the latch.  With the door open, if you push the catch back 2 clicks than operate the door handle until it releases it became obvious the the handle didn't release the catch until it had essentially run out of travel...than a hard pull would trip the mechanism.  Once the linkage was adjusted, it releases about halfway through the travel.

John Gardner

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 05:12:33 PM »
What Dick and Pat said, I had the same problem. Works fine now.

John