Author Topic: Loss of steering  (Read 4832 times)

Herbert L. Humphries

Loss of steering
« on: August 14, 2009, 08:20:48 PM »
Beaver, 2001 Marquis, Engine C-12 #2KS54431, Loss of steering.   Need location of power steering pump and model if you have it as we do not have a book.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 11:03:46 PM by 14 »

David Fischer

Re: Loss of steering
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 03:22:54 AM »
I have a 1997 Marquis with a C12 engine and if I recall a few years ago I had some steering problems and I called the frame manufacturer which was Gillig.  They advised me to first check the hydraulic tank and that was the problem.  I filled it and had no further problems.  Your chassis manufacturer would be the one to get some help from as it is not an engine problem. One of the guys at Beaver Sales in Oregon would be able to guide you.
Good luck
David Fischer

Gerald Farris

Re: Loss of steering
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 04:21:28 AM »
The hydraulic pump that drives the steering and the cooling fan is mounted to the engine timing cover on the left front of the engine (since the engine is in the rear it is on the right rear). It is driven by the timing gears.

The most common cause for loss of pump function is a hydraulic fluid leak. Check the system fluid level (tank is in right rear service bay) and if it is low, refill it and locate and repair the leak. If the system is low enough on fluid to be inoperative, it does have a leak and needs repair.

Gerald