Author Topic: Water pressure  (Read 27081 times)

Richard Cooper

Re: Water pressure
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2013, 07:23:21 PM »
Which of these Watts adjustable water regulators do you recommend (Gerald)?  I know you said Watts above and also suggested it be at least 4gpm rated.  There are several Watts models with specs I am not sure of.

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/PressureRegulators.htm

Right now I have a Valterra brass adjustable with gauge.  It's set to 62psi by me.  Works fine so far, but seeing a bit of weather induced deterioration.  Whenever it fails I want to replace with something that will last.  Don't they all wear out eventually or does the Watts model last almost forever?

Joel Weiss

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2013, 01:56:53 AM »
Richard:

I don't know which regulator Gerald is using, but I have a Watts N45B which is a 3/4" adjustable.  It's worked fine for me for more than 2 years.  Regardless of which one you decide to buy, all I can say is that IMHO the rvwaterfilterstore.com is one of the more overpriced suppliers I have encountered.  I paid ~$30 for my Watts regulator at Home Depot; they are common items used in homes.  There's no reason to pay the ridiculous mark-ups charged by RV retailers; they aren't even RV products in the first place.

Joel

Gerald Farris

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2013, 04:52:55 AM »
Richard,
It is difficult for me to recommend a regulator to you, because I do not know how many things that you will have on at a time. If you are going to only have one facet on at a time a regulator rated at 4 CFM will be adequate. However if you want maximum water flow, or if there is a chance that you will have two things at a time on like the washing machine and lavatory, go for a 6 or 7 CFM regulator.

The gauge that you chose depends on you pocketbook. Any gauge will work, but an oil filled one will usually be more accurate and last longer. You have the information that you need to make the decision about which regulator fills your needs and/or desires.

Gerald    

Richard Cooper

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2013, 01:27:12 AM »
Quote from: Joel Weiss
Richard:

I don't know which regulator Gerald is using, but I have a Watts N45B which is a 3/4" adjustable.  It's worked fine for me for more than 2 years.  Regardless of which one you decide to buy, all I can say is that IMHO the rvwaterfilterstore.com is one of the more overpriced suppliers I have encountered.  I paid ~$30 for my Watts regulator at Home Depot; they are common items used in homes.  There's no reason to pay the ridiculous mark-ups charged by RV retailers; they aren't even RV products in the first place.

Joel

I wouldn't shop online at rvwaterfilterstore.com either, but they had a nice listing on their website that showed all the Watts regulators.  Certainly wasn't suggesting anyone buy from them.  I am surprised that Home Depot has any bargains --- interesting.

Orman Claxton

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2013, 01:46:41 AM »
Hi Guys
I have to jump in here.
If there is more than 1.5 gpm, Read closely  (GPM) The Aqua Hot will be affected, will not be able to supply continous Hot water

Doug Allman

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2013, 12:28:06 PM »
We purchased a 2004 Marquis last August in Ca. When using on first trip noted that water pressure was very low at all faucets and in shower. Water was not really hot for a long time either.
This spring (Michigan) when getting out and ready for travel water flowed out from under coach right at Aqua Hot.
Long story shortened - Changeds all faucets because screens were corroded so bad we could not get out to clean. Changed out complete shower system.
The Aqua Hot was taken out of Coach and we found three ruptures in the copper lines that wrap around the heat chamber. These ruptures were at the TOP of the heat chamber.
Now we in Michigan believe when water freezes it breaks a line at the low point, not at the top where ther should be air.
We closed and resoldered the lines. Air test indicated still leaks somewhere in the lines.
My son said they could not get much air to go thru the copper lines so they stopped trying. Well at this point we had called Aqua Hot and they indicated a rebuilt would be $7000.00 or a new one would be $10,000.00. Not gonna happen in two days before we had to get on road.
The reduced air flow was caused by a tremendous built up of what appeared to be sand that was really a calcuim mineral deposit that had almost entirely blocked the Aqua Hot lines. This is what we were getting in sinks and shower head which we would have to clean when taking a shower to keep water flow.
I figurerd I had nothing more to loose so I put the air pressure to the line continually and after it built up she finally let go. The calcium build up coated my arm and shot up all the way to the 12 ceiling in our shop. The blast shocked me so I let off the air. After wew realized what what happened wew put the air back to it and got much more deposit out.
With this came the realization that we needed new copper lines and this was most likely the source for all the plugged faucets.
Removed copper lines and rewrapped with new copper. Replaced in Coach with no leaks.
Found out on trip that you can get a little hot water but not constant hot water with just replacing the copper pipe.
Pulled Aqua Hot out again on return to home and found thru a web search that we needed to seat the copper line in a Heat Transfer Mastic. Just happened to have the lady at one of the heat mastic transfer sales tell me that Aqua Hot buys this for their units. (we were told we could not do this and get it to work by several Aqua Hot shops). Right. In one conversation they did say we would have to grind the tank down to clean steel.
2nd attempt, 2 gallons of heat transfer mastic, 150' of 1/2" refrigeration copper, 1 coupling, 1 90 degree bend and we have it back in service with excellent water flow, very hot water and pressure is excellent.
Total cost for 2 attempts, material $430.00. Labor hours numerous but we were learning and the second try took 16 hours to remove repair and replace.

Obviously there is some very hard water on the west coast as this coach was said to have never left California. I am not sure if any water filter system would eliminate this type problem. Does someone know if that would be available? I do not need to do this again.

Just a note: We do a lot of mechanical work on our construction equipment and vehicles and have shop to work in but this is not rocket science if you have to fix an Aqua Hot. I have some other tricks that we learned and used that will make the job much easier if you ever have to do one.        dougallman@chartermi.net

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2013, 01:06:35 PM »
On a side note, when I had to replace my electric water heater I cut it in half and discovered a lot of white clay like material.
While the replacement did not improve my flows it did allow for more hot water as the material took up about 1/4 of the tank.

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2013, 11:50:26 PM »
DOUG,
Not sure that you would be interested in this, but I'll mention it.  I have found a water softener that is small and easy to transport.  I believe that a lot of the problems besides cleaning and mechanical are helped by using soft water.  One can recharge it using potassium also rather than sodium. I live in NM and we have terrible hard water.  
When I go to AZ in the winter it is just as bad!  This year I used my water softener and found it to be very effective.  

Here is the link:  http://www.stainlesswaterfilters.com/waterfilters-s/1814.htm

check it out.

Leah

Richard Cooper

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2013, 07:39:14 AM »
Which one of those are you using?

I traveled through TX, NM, AZ, and CA on my way to Oregon and did not notice that the water was hard.  Hard water would make it difficult to lather up in a shower or wash dishes, right?

Quote from: LEAH DRAPER
DOUG,
Not sure that you would be interested in this, but I'll mention it.  I have found a water softener that is small and easy to transport.  I believe that a lot of the problems besides cleaning and mechanical are helped by using soft water.  One can recharge it using potassium also rather than sodium. I live in NM and we have terrible hard water.  
When I go to AZ in the winter it is just as bad!  This year I used my water softener and found it to be very effective.  

Here is the link:  http://www.stainlesswaterfilters.com/waterfilters-s/1814.htm

check it out.

Leah

Doug Allman

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2013, 02:21:45 PM »
Thanks Leah I will look into this for sure.

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2013, 03:30:02 PM »
RICHARD
I have two.....the Standard one, (for use at home because my outside faucets supply does not go through my home softener ) and the mini softener (because I wanted soft water while traveling if needed).  It takes up much less space and not nearly as heavy/bulky as the "standard" one.  I decided it was easier to recharge more often than carry the standard size.  I use potassium to recharge rather than salt also.

Leah

By the way, when recharging, the water supply during the recharge process it should be done from from the  output ---> inlet side so that you get a good back flow wash.  I goofed on that the first time I did it.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2013, 04:14:42 PM »
We use this in our Beaver. We connect it in-line from the water source. We also fill the fresh tank with it in-line so that water is soft also.

We have to regenerate about every three weeks, using normal table salt. We get awesome soft water!

http://www.watersticks.com/p.htm

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2013, 10:09:43 PM »
There is an opinion out there that you shouldn't filter water going into the tank for storage.  Any chlorinated city water would help prevent microbial growth during long term storage.  Many filters remove chlorine.  One could put a filter on the downstream side of the pump though.

I figure the pretreated water should be fine in the tank for some time even after chlorine is filtered out, especially since I bleach-clean the tank before each season.  As long as there is no other contamination source while in service, it should be good.  If park water tastes sweet with no hint of chlorine, I often dispense with the filter since it can cut down on pressure.

I grew up on hard well water -calcium, magnesium, and iron.  Kids like me have better bones and teeth as a result.  But those elements confound sudsing mechanics.  Only after my parents put in a softener did I go to pot  ;D .  I can tolerate some water hardness to drink, but we started using a filter after getting into some awful sulpherous stuff at the Will Rogers Race Track RV Park in eastern Oklahoma in 2006, and its essence stayed with us for a month afterward.

Joel
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 10:30:24 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2013, 11:23:44 PM »
Joel,
There's nothing that will wake you up quicker than a heavily "sulfered" water shave first thing in the AM. We visit folks in south GA that have nothing but that. Usually takes me a day to get used to it. But I don't put any in the tank as the boss just doesn't appreciate the regional variety of this great country. :)
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp