Author Topic: Noisy furnace fan  (Read 5680 times)

Scott Ramsey

Noisy furnace fan
« on: October 08, 2012, 05:05:28 PM »
Hi all,
We have an '03 Monterey 37' and I have a question concerning the furnace.  It seems to me that I get a lot of noise from the furnace fan(s).  The HydroHot is working great and we do get warm air, but there is considerable noise.  It seems to be a mix of mechanical (maybe?) and air flow but it has been hard to isolate and define.  It seems to me that even with the fans on "high" air flow is nominal, but I have nothing to compare it to so I don't really know.  And with the fans on low, noise is reduced but still there.  Both front and bed/bath furnace fans seem loud.  We have been using the heat pumps, but this weekend we were in colder climes so we went to the furnace.  I was surprised at how much louder the furnace was than the pumps.  Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
Scott
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 12:19:22 AM by 14 »

Gerald Farris

Re: Noisy furnace fan
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 05:17:08 PM »
Scott,
Monaco did use some noisy fans at times, but have you checked the fans and heat exchangers for lint or pet hair buildup? This kind of buildup can reduce air flow and increase noise levels.

Another question, has the noise level always been high, or is the coach new to you, so that you can not compare the noise levels from years ago?

Gerald  

Scott Ramsey

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 06:12:38 PM »
Thanks for the reply Gerald.  The coach is new to us as of May but I will ask the previous owner for his opinion.  I know the bed room heat exchanger and fan are under the bed but I am not sure where the others are.  I will start poking around but any guidance concerning location would be appreciated.  If it does turn out to be noisy motors do you have any suggestions on how to avoid replacing the old noisy motor with a "new" noisy motor?  And I would I be correct in guessing that Beaver Coach Sales would be the best sourced.
Scott

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 08:43:59 PM »
Scott,
Beaver Coach Sales would probably be a good source, however you might call AquaHot technical support and discuss your concerns to see if they have a good option.

Gerald

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 12:23:39 AM »
Did you look at the fan intake for something up against it?  The intake to which I refer is on the fan box assembly under the cabinet/bed.  Sometimes a slip of paper or card or plastic bag may fall against the fan and increase the noise.

Larry

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 01:14:05 AM »
Scott,

Our fans seem to make excessive noise also. Squirrel cage blowers are better than the muffin fan type that are used in the hydronic heaters in my coach. We would be bothered with the intermittent noise in the bedroom at night. We have been pretty happy running the living room on heat for the night and running the bedroom and bath air unit on low fan constantly. There is enough heat exchanged to be comfortable down to the 40 degree range and we sleep well with the constant white noise.  I do not know how low a temperature this would work for but we liked using the system this way and found that the electric element in a aqua hot would keep us comfortable using just the one heat zone down to about 40 degrees. I think having just one heat zone on helped here.

later Ed

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 11:06:19 PM »
A couple years back there was discussion here about those heat exchanger fans, as I complain about our noisy ones too.  As I recall, there are other units, from the same mfr. that you can buy to replace the factory ones, and are quieter.  I just never got around to spending the money and doing the job.  Perhaps someone here remembers details about the prior thread.

Similar to Ed's technique, we turn on the zone in the bedroom, or the heat pump in there, when we are in the living area, then vice versa at night.  The electric element on the HydroHot is adequate overnight.  We also use a small box electric heater, but it is noisy too, so it goes in the other room unless it can't keep up with the cold.

The heat exchangers certainly interfere with conversations and TV, though.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Orman Claxton

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 01:35:20 AM »
Scott,
Which Motors do you have?
The (pan cake) type are very easy to replace, and readily available at Radio Schack.
The Squirrel cage blowers are available from aqua-Hot (a little more expensive)
Call me if you need more info.

Orman Claxton
206 660 9893

Scott Ramsey

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 07:06:10 PM »
THANKS guys.  Lots of good information.  I have pancake style fans so I will explore a couple sources and see what I can come up with.  Again -- thanks to everyone for their suggestions and thoughts.
Scott