Author Topic: tires  (Read 7450 times)

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
tires
« on: June 28, 2012, 03:39:14 AM »
OK I will try to keep this history short,  My front tires now have 4000 miles.  The tags have 6000 miles and its now time to change the four main drivers,

The question is Goodyear or Michelin's  

My thought is to mount the Michelins on the front and tags and move the Goodyears to the mains.
Will this cause a problem running two different tires?

If I do the change is the FMCA tire deal still going on?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 05:43:35 AM by 14 »
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Richard And Babs Ames

Re: tires
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 01:37:49 PM »
We have used both Michelin and Goodyear in the 275/70 R 22.5 size. The Goodyear G670 is H rated  in that size and the Michelin in the XZA(?) Energy is J rated.

Michelin also makes a very round tire compared to the Goodyear and therefore a better ride.

We had erosive tire wear on both Goodyear G159 and G670 tires. Erosive wear occurs on non drive axles (steer or tag) and is not  adjustible. We do not have enough miles on the Michelins yet to see how they will wear. JoSam in Orlando reccomends Michelin as they are smoother riding and they have not seen the erosive wear issue with them.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 05:03:47 PM by 72 »

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 04:35:31 PM »
Jerry,
I think that your idea of moving your front and tag axle tires to the drive axle will work since the tires have so few miles. However if you have an alignment problem that has caused uneven wear between the tires, you may have the uneven loading concern that was voiced earlier.

There is something that you may or may not have considered, and that is the added cost of dismounting and remounting tires to accomplish the movement of the Goodyear tires to your drive axle. Your coach probably has steel wheels on the inside of your drive axle, and if so it will require at least remounting those tires. Also your wheels may only be polished on the side that is facing out now, and if so you will end up an appearance change if you move those wheels to a location where the opsite side is facing out instead of remounting those tires. So you may have another $100 or so in mounting charges to accomplish the change.  

Gerald

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 08:57:31 PM »
Hi Gerald,

In checking around, it would appear we can go with Bridgestone,Michellin or Goodyear.  We now have the 4 new (last year) Goodyears.  I think to help keep the cost down, I will just change the 4 main driver tires rather the playing around moving the front,s and tag.

I think the Bridgestone are rated at 6800lb/tire, so they will be fine we run at 10800 on each side.  Do you or anyone else have an opinion of the Bridgeston/Michellin?  Looks like the Michellin will run about 200 buck more.  I have not checked the weight ratings on the Michellin yet.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 05:41:47 AM by 14 »
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13