Author Topic: Lubricating brakes for 2001 Marquis  (Read 13520 times)

Marty and Suzie Schenck

Re: Lubricating brakes for 2001 Marquis
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 03:29:12 AM »
Steve, Thanks for the tip with the helper springs. Mine did not have any on them and I bought it with only 8,300 miles so I'm going to assume it did not come with them. I will contact Meritor and order a set. Thanks again. If one is mechanicly inclined, and can look at the difference the way the front caliper air cans ride as opposed to the rears, you can see that the rear air cans are much larger, heavier and mounted farther inward. This works like a lever pushing out at the bottom and pulling in at the top. It acually took a floor jack and one person to hold it on the floor jack because of the unbalance of the assembly.  I was very lucky, I only had to replace both rotors and the pads. To anyone that has this brake system on thier coach I would recommend checking caliper/rotor alignment at least every 6 months. Marty

Steve Jewell

Re: Lubricating brakes for 2001 Marquis
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 11:08:49 PM »
Marty
  That unit is much larger because it also contains the emergency brake. If your pads wore out at an angle you may want to check your pins and bushings. Those pins had a habit of the chrome pelling off. What would happen to many of those calipers is it would not slide back on pins causing the outside pad to wear out much faster than inside pad. That is why they later added the spring. If you cant find the springs in the amount you want (they come in bags of ten) let me know I am sure we have plenty. They use the same spring on some fire trucks. They should be about $8.00 each.

Steve