Author Topic: Air Horn Problem?  (Read 11287 times)

charlie drake

Air Horn Problem?
« on: August 16, 2009, 07:39:46 PM »

I have a 2006 Beaver Monterey. Just recently, while going down highway--heard a loud noise up on roof--uncertain cause.. but now we find that our Air Horns are NOT functioning. Question: do you think the loud noise was air line breaking??? does anyone have any ideas how to fix this problem??? thanks Charlie Drake (presently in Cleveland OH) :-/

Gerald Farris

Re: Air Horn Problem?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 10:01:33 PM »
The noise probably had no relation to your air horn problem. An inoperative air horn is usually caused by a stuck air control solenoid valve.

First locate the valve (the solenoid valve on my 2000 Marquis is located in the left front electrical bay), then tap the solenoid while someone trys to blow the horn. If the horn starts working you will probably have to remove the air lines and apply a little lubricant (spray silicon) to the valve or it will stick again.

If you have air pressure (inlet line) to valve and power and ground when you try to blow the horn, but you cant get air out you will have to replace the solenoid valve, but it will usually clean-up and work fine.

Gerald
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 02:38:30 PM by 235 »

Mike And Mary Engen

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 02:35:38 AM »
As Gerald said, it's probably the solenoid valve, it was on ours.  Also found we needed to change our air dryer canister as I had excess moisture when  I drained my air tanks. I think that was the root cause of the failure. Just something worth double checking.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 03:18:40 PM »
In my other life I lived in Houston Texas (tropical rain forest) and the problem that I had with moisture was water draining down the air lines from the roof mounted air horns and collecting at the valve causing it to corrode and stick. The way that I reduced this problem was to blow the horn on a regular intervial (every few weeks, especially after driving in the rain) and clean out the lines.

Gerald

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 11:48:11 PM »
You have to remove the air lines from the valve to lubricate it. Just spray some silicon spray into the air line ports, and reinstall the inlet line. Then build up a little air pressure, and tap the horn button to blow out any excess lubricant before reinstalling the other line.

WD-40 will work but I do not like using petroleum based products on valves that are not designed for it as it can damage rubber seals.

I would not use this method as preventive maintenance, but only as a repair if the valve does stick since the air flow through the valve will remove so much lubricant that if it happens to get water in the valve it will probably stick.

Gerald  

Bruce Benson

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 03:42:32 AM »
Gotta get my two cents in here.  Recently had the horns fail.  Yes, I discovered it at one of those rare moments when it seemed really needed.  So first off, checking it daily is a good practice.

The coil in my relay was shorted, thus the air valve was not operating at all.  My analysis of the cause was laying items on top of the steering wheel when the coach was parked.  Once the air is out on ours for leveling, the horn no longer sounds but the solenoid is wired to the battery side of the ignition switch, thus is turned on or "pulled" anytime that the horn button is pressed.  The solenoid is rated for about 20% use, so leaving the horn button pushed for hours, perhaps days at a time will burn it up.  The moral is do not lay things on top of the steering wheel!

Bruce  

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 02:10:36 PM »
Not a fix but something that happened to us. We have a cat that would blow the horn when he jumped on the steering wheel. We were always in a camp site and embarassing to us that our inconsiderate feline decided to jump on the steering wheel at 2:00 A.M.

Ended up getting a steering wheel table to protect the the horn and to keep our neighbors from being mad at the cat and us. Turns out it is a nice addition but the cat now likes to perch on it and look out the window.