Author Topic: tire pressures  (Read 7504 times)

Jerry and Kay Hudson

tire pressures
« on: August 20, 2009, 10:28:47 AM »
here is a small tire pressure question...

I recently weighed our 2002 Contessa and the weights are as follows: Front axle wighed in at 11660 and the rear axle weighed in at 19800 with a total combined of 31460. I have bridgestone 275 70 r 22.5 tires with a H rating. I have looked at their chart but it only list a J rated tire. I run 115 in the front and 110 in the rear tires. what pressures are you running with similar weights?

Thanks for your responses,
Jerry and Kay Hudson

Gerald Farris

Re: tire pressures
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 04:07:47 PM »
Aparently Bridgestone/Firestone does not market a 275R70-22.5 in a load range H anymore under the Bridgestone brand. However they do market it under the Firestone brand. A load capacity and inflation chart for the Firestone (same as Bridgestone) load range H tire at http://www.trucktires.com/firestone/us_eng/load/load_pdf/F_loadTables.pdf

One point of caution is that you did not give individual location weights (LF,LR,RF,RR). The individual location weights instead of axle weights can be important if a coach does not weigh the same on both sides, and most  coaches do not. The RR of my coach is 1,000 lbs. heaver than the LR. So if you are on the line or in doubt about the weight use the next higher pressure, because low pressure and excess age are the two biggest causes for tire failures.

Gerald  

Jerry and Kay Hudson

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 12:59:28 AM »
Thanks for your response. as I was not able to weigh the individual corners, I was at least able to do weigh the individual front and rear axles. thanks for the up to date inflation/load chart. It appears that the 115 psi for the front and the 110 for the rear will take care of everything that I need with a safety factor worked in. I have a tire pressure monitoring system so I can also keep a good eye on the pressures and temperatures as we travel down the road.

Thanks,
Jerry and Kay Hudson

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 04:21:53 AM »
There are a lot of coaches, especially coaches with a tag axle that require higher pressure in the front tires than in the drive axle tires.

As for the problem of wearing out the center of the front tire from over inflation, I do not believe that it will ever be a problem on any of our coaches. Very few of us ever get our tires more than 50% worn before we need to replace them because of excess age, unless there is an alignment problem with the suspension.

Gerald  
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 01:23:28 PM by 5 »

Joel Buchan

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 04:35:02 AM »
I too have the same weights as you and run 115# front and 95# rear on Goodyear 275/70R - 22.5 Load Range "H".
12,650# front 18,050# rear and have less than 200# variation from side to side.

I up graded from 255's to the 275's per RVSEF recommendations, in 2005.