Author Topic: air bag ride height  (Read 8393 times)

Arden Smith

• BAC Member
  • 98 Monterey 36\' 300 Cat 3126
air bag ride height
« on: August 03, 2009, 07:59:54 PM »
I have read several pieces of information about ride height, I have a 98 Monterey with magnum chassis, I suspect a low ride height on my system. How and where do I measure the ride height? On one post, a person gave a dimension of 10 inches of ride height. Where is this measured from and to???? I know about the drive line being within spec. or at least straight being the optimum. But I have concerns about the front height. And how long does it usually take for the air system to bleed down. My front control valves seem to bleed quite fast. I am realitively new to the air ride systems but a knowledgeable mechanic. I learn by asking questions. thank you ahead of time
Arden Smith
98 Monterey
Arden Smith
98 Monterey 36' 3126 300 CAT

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: air bag ride height
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 09:01:25 PM »
Arden-

On my '06 Monterey the ride height (travel mode) is factory specified at 10 inches for all bags.  That is measured from the bottom of a bag's top steel mounting plate to the top of its bottom mounting plate.

I, too, have had, since new, problems with the coach going out of kilter, but only after it sits for awhile.  It's usually noticeable anywhere from 12 hours to several days after parking, whether left in travel mode or leveled for camp.  If leveled for camp, the auto-leveling system sensors, if used, will maintain that position until the air tanks run empty of pressure.  It's been an annoyance to park on our slightly off-level home "pad", because within days the streetside rear slumps down and twists the body, even once causing the (as it turns out, mismounted) windshield to crack.

My ride height has been checked so many times by so many different facilities that it ain't funny.  Problem is, it isn't the ride height that's the problem for me;  it's the parking height maintenance.  When you take the rig in, they always want to check ride height, find out it's to specs, and assume all is well.  That's because, so I've been advised, it is next to impossible for a tech to track down a micro-leak, even if there is a glaring clue like my sagging left rear (no snickering you Guys!).   One serious problem for me has been my shortness (okay, okay, stop the giggling);  at 36 ft., my rig has a very short driveline, so the rear can't go to the full 4 inches of maximum lift when trying to clear street dips, etc. because they installed Limiting Straps that hold the back from going higher than about 2 in.  Guess what happens to my mud flap and hitch when I go over a curb with the Raise button depressed, and the front bags are 2 inches higher than the rear ones!  So I have to try and micromanage the Raise button to lift only 2 inches.  A pain in my sagging rear.

Over time, leaks will develop anywhere in the system, and your coach is 11 years old.  If your tanks are pressurized as they should be while on the road, then they should be able to keep up with all but the most glaring of leaks, so your travel (ride) height should maintain while driving.  Bleed down while parked could come from failing valve seals, loose fitting nuts, rock-damaged lines, or failing rubber or fittings at the bags themselves.  It would be nice if we could just fill the system with neon infused air, turn out the lights, and use a black light underneath the rig to pinpoint the leaks, but reckon that ain't gonna fly.  I've never been able to convince a tech to try and track down my microleak(s), as they don't have that kind of time, and claim it's an impractical task;  now that it's out of warranty, it sure ain't gonna happen.  But if your air system is HWH, a call to them might glean some good advice, and you could spend your own time, instead of $$$ on tech time, zeroing in on the problem spot(s).  At least you know it involves the front, so that's half the battle, and HWH may be able to send you diagrams to help if they supplied the system to Beaver.

Anyone else out there know the ride height specs for Arden's '98 Monterey?
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Roy Mueller

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 10:26:55 PM »
Arden.  My nane is Roy Mueller I own a 97 Beaver Monteray. The front Suspension is a Reyco Model 510AR on the front and Model 610AR on the rear. The front ride heigh is 9.5 to 10.5 inches.  I use 10 inches on the rear use 11 inches from the bottom air bag metal to the top of the air bag metal.
If you level your coach with your jacks and raise your coach above ride height it dumps your air, you only have hydralic leveling.  If you leak off, you have a bad hydralic valve or your maual valve is not
tight. Front air bag #is 2242501 $230.35. Rear air bag # is 2077301 $200.35.
DO NOT WORK ON COACH WITH OUT SAFTY STANDS.
Call me at phone #573 220 1216.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 04:17:19 AM by 14 »

Don and Kathy DuCharme

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 03:25:04 AM »
We had a 99 Monterey, and had problems with the ride height.  At that time the specifications according to Beaver Service were: 8 3/4 inches for the front and 12 inches for the rear "Give or take a 1/4 inch or so".
Somewhere between these and the ones recommended by Roy should work.  Good luck.
07 Contessa
C9;400HP

Bill White

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 01:22:01 PM »
Hi.  My left rear was dropping too.  I had the air bag ride valve replaced and that solved the problem.  BW

Arden Smith

• BAC Member
  • 98 Monterey 36\' 300 Cat 3126
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 01:01:02 AM »
Thank all of you people for your replies to my problem. I didn't know the ride height setting nor where to measure it. What I did find out is that the ride height sensors were cracked and leaking around the plastic to metal fittings. As I removed one air line the whole fitting came out sensor body because of the crack where it was pressed into the body. I changed them out to Haldex ride height sensors that are all metal bodied. We shall see how these work out.
Arden Smith
98 Monterey 36' 3126 300 CAT