Author Topic: Emergency flasher -- intermittant problem  (Read 4031 times)

Richard Cooper

Emergency flasher -- intermittant problem
« on: July 04, 2012, 10:04:35 PM »
If I am writing too many threads, please let me know.  I am sort of on a roll since I am at a campground with excellent WiFi.

The other day I was connecting my tow car to the hitch and always test the lights from coach to toad by turning on the coach emergency flashers.  I noticed they flashed and the car's rear lights did too.  Next I looked up and the coach flashers were not flashing anymore.  I glanced away and turned back and they were flashing again.  I stood there and watched them flash on off and then they stopped.  Nothing -- but the car's lights were flashing on and off.  Then the coach lights lit up again to flash.  What's going on?  How is this best repaired?

It's always something.  :-/

Edward Buker

Re: Emergency flasher -- intermittant problem
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 11:43:49 PM »
You may want to clean your sun glasses.....just kidding. If the engine is not running you will have lower voltage, check your lights with the engine running. It may be that the Fit has Led lights that may be more visible and activated with lower voltage and the coach filament tail lights may not be visible.  It is possible that you have a bad ground near the tail lights if this problem continues with the engine running and you have 13.8V on the on the silver leaf monitor. If you could find the coach tail light ground wire loosen it and clean it with sand paper or a file, if it is bolted to the frame. Then grease the cleaned connection to preserve it from rusting.  It could be a voltage drop problem within the flasher controller itself not providing enough voltage. If it is not something visible and simple you will need someone with a volt meter to diagnose what is happening.

Later Ed

Richard Cooper

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 12:24:10 AM »
The engine of the coach was running at the time of this.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 07:42:54 PM »
Welcome to the club! Richard.  I complained of a similar issue in May when my flashers went inconsistent on me going up the hill to Park City, Utah, in heavy traffic after dark.  I discovered they worked fine for a minute, then whacked out after that, very slow and radical.

It was suggested I replace the flasher, the clear plastic cylinder under the dash access cover ($10), but upon testing that one, I got the same result, even just sitting in a campsite in daylight with nothing else on, and no car hooked up.  I'm thinking few of us try to use the emergency flasher for very long, and don't know it might not be sized right for the job.  It's like the flasher unit metals don't work properly after they heat up enough.

I haven't looked into it any further, but thought I'd broach it to the guys in Bend when I go through there on the way home this fall.  It is a safety issue that needs looking after.  I might ask fellow BAC members to try theirs, with and without a toad hooked up and headlamps on, and report back, to see if this is a common problem.  Leave the flashers on for a while, to emulate going up a steep grade and having to slow enough to merit flashers like the truckers do.  You don't have to actually be on the road to test it, and I don't think it's an alternator output issue.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 09:58:37 PM »
Joel,
Richard's problem is different than yours. His complaint was that the lights on the toad never stopped flashing, but the coach did. That would indicate that the flasher and all associated components are functioning properly. So the problem would have to be in the wiring to the rear lights on the coach or a faulty connection after the point were the wiring to the lights on the coach and the wires to the toad separate. This could be narrowed down a little if we knew whether or not the front flashers on the coach emulated the rear flashers.

Gerald