Author Topic: Mystery Antenna Base  (Read 6062 times)

Brad Burgess

Mystery Antenna Base
« on: July 25, 2012, 05:25:23 PM »
Hello All

While up on the roof (wasn't this a song in my youth?) installing my new Trav'ler I noticed two antenna bases - one with what looks like an AM/FM radio antenna and the other was just a base with no antenna screwed into it.  Does anyone with a similar coach know in Monaco prewired for a CB?

Thanks,

Brad Burgess

Bill Sprague

Re: Mystery Antenna Base
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 06:17:46 PM »
Mine was.  The other end was under the dash to the left of the steering wheel.  I added a CB for use on a major trip with a friend.  I've rarely used it since because "Family Service" radios seem to work better for motorhome to motorhome communication.  Even better are cell phones except that someone made it illegal to drive and talk on one.  I guess it is safer to use walkie-talkies or CBs.

Joe House

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 06:26:54 PM »
Brad, I`m not sure about your coach but my 05 Monterey came with a cb antenna over the passenger side , a am-fm antenna  over the driver`side and a sell-phone antenna in the front center of the roof. The antennas were all in place when I got the coach, I was the first owner. Joe House

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 10:02:44 PM »
Brad, I second Joe House's assessment except I believe the low round antenna on the front center of the roof is for the Sirius/XM radio.

Dennis

Brad Burgess

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 05:20:32 PM »
Hello All

Thanks for your input(s.)  The base with no antenna in it is on the passenger side so probably the CB base.  My AM radio works well so the base with an antenna on the driver's side is most likely the AM/FM antenna.  I will look for a cable end under the dash that hopefully will be labeled "CB".

I agree re: family radio - used them for boat to boat on our Alaska trip.  Would like the CB primarily when caught in traffic jams etc. - don't need to listen to all of the vile trucker blather the rest of the time.

Brad Burgess

Bill Sprague

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 07:01:11 PM »
Quote from: Brad Burgess
....I will look for a cable end under the dash that hopefully will be labeled "CB"......

I agree re: family radio - used them for boat to boat on our Alaska trip.  Would like the CB primarily when caught in traffic jams etc. - don't need to listen to all of the vile trucker blather the rest of the time.
Brad,

Mine was not labeled.  It was the only piece of coax dangling under the dash.  

I don't find the CB for traffic as useful as Google Maps with the traffic option on.  It seems to predict traffic flow to withing about 100 yards!  Even the Garmin GPS can pick up traffic alerts and route me around some of them.  Somehow Google's supercomputer tracks the motion of all the Androids and plots their motion along every street and highway in America.  Big brother is helping in odd ways sometimes.

Bill

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 10:39:21 PM »
DON'T KNOW IF ALL BEAVERS ARE WIRED THE SAME, BUT ON MINE THE ANTENNA ON THE CURB SIDE IS CB, THE OTHER IS AM/FM.  BCS IN BEND DID THE CB HOOKUP SO THEY OUT TO KNOW, RIGHT?