Author Topic: Engine air filter  (Read 8482 times)

Jeff Watt

Engine air filter
« on: June 30, 2012, 04:06:05 AM »
I just want to get a sense from other owners as to air filter capacity.  I had mine changed before going on this current trip, and now with approximately 3000 miles, the indicator is already at half (I assume the tech reset the gauge).  I am heading off tomorrow over the top of the world highway, and it could be dusty.  It seems to me this isn't a lot of miles for the size of filter.

Could it be the placement of the intake?  On the side sucking in whatever dust is there. The trip so far, other than some campgrounds and pullouts, has been pavement.

Just looking for thoughts.

Jeff
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 05:58:21 AM by 14 »

Edward Buker

Re: Engine air filter
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 04:25:52 AM »
Mine runs about halfway in the yellow with a new filter. Reset it and see where it settles. If you have a chance pull the cover and check out that there are no nests or apparent significant dirt on the face for piece of mind. If not, I would consider that reading the clean filter starting point and look for change from there. If this indicator normally runs lower by recollection then there could still be an issue with the intake or your replacement filter by design is somewhat more restrictive.

later Ed

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 04:36:18 AM »
Yes, I wondered about this also when I noticed ours about half way on the indicator after a filter change. That is where it settles out every time on ours. I think that is normal on our Thunders. Just had ours replaced before we headed North and that is where it settled out again.
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Jeff Watt

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 06:08:05 AM »
I'll check it every so often to see where it reads. May reset it out of curiousity to see what happens.
May need your help Larry if I need to find a good service centre in Alaska  :) Glad you made it home without incident.

Jeff

Ps. Diesel is $1.599/L in Dawson city. Fortunately I can make it to Tok, Ak.

Ron Rowe

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 07:25:31 AM »
Just finished the Top of The World hwy a few days ago and had to clean out my AFE filter as it had gone from a reading of 10 to 25.  It was full of dirt.  The dust on that hwy is very fine and gets into everything.  Have a good trip!

Jeff Watt

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 08:02:20 PM »
Replaced the air fillter as the "top of the world" filled it up!

Fortunately I was able to source a filter in Fairbanks.

Does anyone else have a problem with the airbox fitting properly onto the filter - mine hits the bulkhead causing it to go on the filter at a bit of an angle. I wrap the connection with aluminum duct tape.

Jeff

JimCasazze

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 03:48:02 AM »
We are in Dawson City, about to do the Top of the World.  After reading this thread, I went to check my filter indicator.   Air filter is showing 100% from the extreme dusty roads we've been on in BC, etc.  This is a C12 cat.  

Does it make sense to remove and attempt a cleaning of the filter until I can source a replacement or will this create problems with existing dust?  Don't want to destroy my engine or suck the filter into the turbo....

Edward Buker

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 04:54:33 AM »
Jim,

If your filter is clogged something needs to be done before the vacuum pull damages something vital.

I guess I would probably improvise as best I could if I could not come up with a new filter. So if that is the best plan at hand carefully remove the filter trying not to disturb the dirt until you can duct tape over the end inlet opening. Once the inlet is sealed tap it gently on a picnic table or some flat surface to dislodge what will give way easily. In lieu of being able to blow off the outside gently with an air gun using low pressure air at a low angle to the pleats, I would spray it with water at a low angle (not perpendicular) using a spray pattern (not stream) and see how cleanly it can be rinsed out. Then let it dry and remove the tape. If you think you might have gotten any dirt inside while removing it you could run a vacuum wand in the center as best you can.

If you can take it into a semi darkened room and aim a flashlight in the center toward the pleats and inspect all of the exterior pleats for any light breaches. If you have any light breaches, indicating damage or a hole, order another filter and wait for it.

Once you pass the inspection and your happy with the result  then seat it well and put it back in service, reset the vacuum guage and let us know how it does with the vacuum level improvement. This is something I would do in your situation exercising common sense and care. It may not be for you if you would not have some comfort level with this type work.

This procedure would not provide you with a clean filter, just an unclogged filter, that would allow you to proceed until it clogs again or until you can meet up with a new filter while on the road. If anyone has a significant concern or a better improvised method please chime in....

Later Ed

Gerald Farris

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 04:57:35 AM »
 Jim,
There is not a one size fits all answer to your question. I am normally opposed to trying to clean an air filter because if you are not careful, you will do more damage than what little good you might do. If you damage the filter, and you probably will, you up the chances of engine damage.

It would help if we knew how long the filter indicator was at 100%. If you do not know, I would reset the indicator to 0%. Then I would start the engine and run it at 1500 RPM for a minute then kill the engine and recheck the indicator. If the indicator does not show 100%. I would not do anything to the filter until you get to the next town for a replacement, but keep the RPMs down as much as possible when driving. But if the indicator immediately goes to 100%, replace the filter now.

Most small towns in Alaska and Canada get a mail plane every day so you can have a filter flown in to you at a reasonable cost. I had a hydraulic hose flown to me in Eagle Alaska when mine failed and the cost was very reasonable.

Gerald

JimCasazze

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 05:11:49 AM »
Ed/Gerald
Thank you for such a quick reply.  Considering this information, I will try a reset and see where that leaves me.  If still clogged, (or even if not) I will see what I can do about coming up with a replacement.  I do not have the type and model for the filter in any printed material.  Will it be stamped on the filter or housing?  Any chance this is the same on my 99 PT C12 as the one in either of your coaches?

Hopefully - reset will buy me a bit of time, but I'm concerned that my intake temp seems to be higher than normal.  It usually sits under 108 but I've seen it up to 120 lately.  I was attributing this to long ascents as the intake temp seems to come down as soon as I'm coasting back downhill.

Will post my findings.

Thanks, Jim

JimCasazze

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 05:29:02 AM »
Update.  

I reset the indicator, started the engine and ran at 1500 for 2 mins.  The indicator still shows 0 and hasn't moved up at all.   So I would guess that means it isn't as clogged as I was afraid it might be or (worse) it is torn and not working at all.

Once I determine the filter manufacturer and p/n I will start to hunt one down.

THanks
Jim

Edward Buker

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 12:53:51 PM »
I liked Gerald's advice a lot, a simple test to see if you can still obtain enough air to continue on safely. I will put that one in my memory bank for personal use....

I am a little puzzled how a filter displayed 100% and then zero, the 100% may have been driven by a momentary peak load given the guage retains the highest value. My new filters will not start at the zero level on my coach, there is some restriction to start out with. This may just be the indicator calibration that is normal for mine.  If a zero reading is in the normal range of readings for your coach you are probably just fine. If you have never seen the indicator run that low, and it stays that low, I would have the filter inspected. It can be that low because it is no longer restrictive due to damage to the filter or intake piping.

If you pull the air cleaner container end cap and just take a peek with a flashlight without filter removal, it should put your mind at ease and give you some indication of the filter condition regarding plugging, If the filter looks decent the readings make sense. Inspect the connections of the air piping between the canister and the turbo also just to be sure while you are at it. Once you know all is well you can keep having fun and not worry about air cleaners...

Many times the number is printed on the filter end cap. Dimensions from one website of the P527682 in case you have to measure.

Air Filters Product Attributes
Length:      14.76" (375 mm)
Outer Diameter:      13.08" (332 mm)
Inner Diameter:      6.78" (172 mm)

Later Ed

Jeff Watt

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 06:16:02 PM »
After changing the filter, resetting the gauge, it now reads 20 after 500 miles of pavement. (of course I forgot to look at the gauge after initial start-up so I don't know what its initial reading was; guessing 15).

Hard to know when we're at critical level or the gauge can't properly assess the restriction of the filter....

Jeff

JimCasazze

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 03:20:04 AM »
Gerald/Ed,
I have now driven about 300 miles and we're about 35 miles from Anchorage.  Tomorrow we'll see if I can source a spare since we'll spend a few days in town.  Will be nice to have a spare.

The current reading on the gauges is 15 so perhaps I jumped the gun in panic mode after reading the "destroyed engine" post.  I now realize that I need to check that filter gauge more frequently.

Ed, I'm not sure why it peaked at 100 - bug it actually was not in the RED zone.  I'm thinking it may have been from the engine revving a bit higher than it has the last day and a half, as the Jake was putting me in the 2000 to 2100 range last week (before I read the post about watching out for over-revving when using the break).  I'm attempting to keep in at 1900 or less now by slowing down more in anticipation of needing the break.

I really appreciate the fast help and advise from you both.  Thank you and safe travels.

BTW, It's nice to be out of the wilderness and have access to the internet again.  At least for a day or so!!

J

Edward Buker

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 05:01:51 AM »
All sounds well in Alaska, safe travels and enjoy your time. Jim, the peak setting on the guage could very well have come from higher RPMs. Glad it is behaving now.... Jeff, on your guage I doubt if 500 miles of pavement travel would have changed the starting point at all, consider 20 as being a good approximation of your starting point.

Later Ed