Author Topic: Feeding gas to a grill on the right side  (Read 24365 times)

Bill Sprague

Re: Feeding gas to a grill on the right side
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2012, 12:04:32 AM »
Quote from: LarryNCarolynShirk
Propane is heavier than air, so it settles to the bottom of compartments.  You should store the bottles in a compartment with an open bottom, so it dissipates to the outside if a leak occurs.  I use the battery bay.  Look around your coach for a safe spot.

Larry
The one pound, green 'Coleman' bottles can leak when you remove them.  Stick it to your ear and you will hear it hiss if the valve does not seal.  As a precaution, I screw a brass cap on like this one:  http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Propane-Throwaway-Fitting/dp/B000VYH4KO/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1347317920&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=propane+bottle+cap

Bill Sprague

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2012, 12:14:14 AM »
Linda Schlegel was at the Sam Hill rally in Goldendale.  She has the NuWave induction cooktop set.  https://www.nuwavepic.com  She got two burners and some pans for $100.

They have an optional cast iron grill for those that don't like propane, fire or greasy messes and still want to grill some meat.

She likes it a lot and demonstrated it by cooking some excellent breakfast sausage.  

Our Beaver is blessed with a very anemic gas burner set from Atwood that takes forever to boil water.  I'm close to convinced that a solution would be an induction burner like this.  

Joel Weiss

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2012, 12:34:43 AM »
From what I can see online you don't need to buy from NuWave to get a good induction burner.  The one thing I noticed about the NuWave burner is that the lowest power setting is ~50% of the maximum (600W compared with 1300W).  IMHO that is poor.  Our induction burner has 10 settings and at the lowest settings it is a great slow cooker. You also don't necessarily need new pots and pans; if a magnet will stick to the bottom of a pot, it will work with an induction burner.  

IMHO NuWave makes a lot of money through mass marketing of products that are, at best average, in quality.  That is my opinion based on having owned a retail electronics and appliance store.

Phil N Barb Rodriguez

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2012, 03:52:31 AM »
And those drip pans are available at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.............

Bill Sprague

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2012, 04:15:37 AM »
Quote from: Joel Weiss
...........IMHO NuWave makes a lot of money through mass marketing of products that are, at best average, in quality.  That is my opinion based on having owned a retail electronics and appliance store.
I was not 'endorsing' NuWave.  I was reporting that a member enjoyed using hers and thought it was a good value.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2012, 05:24:16 AM »
Quote from: Bill Sprague
I was not 'endorsing' NuWave.  I was reporting that a member enjoyed using hers and thought it was a good value.

Bill-

I wasn't dissing your post.  I just get upset seeing people spend good money on NuWave products when their biggest claim to fame is the meaningless statement "as seen on TV."   Because induction cooking seems like "black magic" to so many people, it is the perfect sort of thing for companies like NuWave to market.  Their "imprimatur" gives the product a respectability that may not be justified.

In this particular case it is almost impossible to conceive that NuWave can be selling anything of quality with the offer of $100 for two burners plus pots and pans.  Most induction burners are selling for $75-100 each without any pots and pans and some sell for a lot more than that.  

The fact that they aren't providing cooking levels down to ~10% of maximum is an indication that they are cutting corners on the electronics; one of the things an induction burner can do excellently is provide very stable low level cooking as is needed for rice, slow cooking, etc.  We use ours almost every day and much of what we do with it involves simmering at very low power levels without burning.

Sorry if I came on too strong.

Joel

Bill Sprague

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2012, 02:40:56 PM »
Quote from: Joel Weiss
........ Most induction burners are selling for $75-100 each without any pots and pans and some sell for a lot more than that.  .......
Costco has a small number of commercial stores aimed at supplying convenience stores, delis and restaurants.   The kitchen equipment section is like a toy store.  One of them is near our condo.  They always have one or two commercial grade induction burners in stock.  With Costco's guarantee policy, the brand does not matter as much.  I intend to buy one their soon.

Joel, you did not upset me.  In fact, I appreciate you explaining the need for a 10% setting.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2012, 03:38:47 PM »
Costco has a small number of commercial stores aimed at supplying convenience stores, delis and restaurants.   The kitchen equipment section is like a toy store.  

Where are these stores?  Is there a list on the Costco website?  I've got to go to one!    :K)

We already have far more kitchen appliances than most RVers; I can't wait to get more!

Joel

Note added:  I found the list-- http://www.costco.com/Service/FeaturePage.aspx?ProductNo=11535296&cm_sp=Office-_-LeftNav-_-BusinessCenters

Joel Weiss

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2012, 05:07:49 PM »
Costco has a small number of commercial stores aimed at supplying convenience stores, delis and restaurants.   The kitchen equipment section is like a toy store.  One of them is near our condo.  They always have one or two commercial grade induction burners in stock.  With Costco's guarantee policy, the brand does not matter as much.  I intend to buy one their soon.

Joel, you did not upset me.  In fact, I appreciate you explaining the need for a 10% setting.

In case anyone reading this thread is interested in induction burners, I spent some time this morning (it's raining here) looking at the huge proliferation of devices on the market in the ~2 yrs since we bought ours.  Since the price range is ~$60-500 on Amazon I was curious as to what you get for more $$.

Since most induction burners can operate in either a power control or a temperature control mode, there are two different design approaches that can be used.

It appears that the least expensive design approach is to have the power control cover a range like 40-100% of maximum; if slower cooking is desired then the burner is used in a temperature control mode.  Like many microwave ovens, lower temperatures are then  achieved by repeatedly turning the power on and off.  There's nothing wrong with this, but it does subject the food being cooked to hotter than desired temperatures in order to create an average.

The alternative design approach is to make the power control be capable of reducing power to the ~10% level while also still providing a temperature control mode.  That way food can be simmered with a continuous application of low power so the cooking temperature stays virtually constant rather than cycling.

The remainder of the price range variance appears be the result of things like packaging differences with so-called professional models mostly having metal and ceramic vs plastic enclosures.  Interestingly enough, additional features like timers are inconsistent throughout the price range.  Our $200 Circulon has a 9 hour timer which is great for slow cooking; but some "professional" models at twice the price don't appear to have any timers at all (probably not needed for professional use).

This is probably more information that most of you ever wanted to know, but I am enough of a technology geek to have found the exercise fun.  What I thought was very interesting is that one of the most widely sold brands, Max Burton, uses as design which doesn't reduce power below 500W even in its ~$200 pro models.  So unless you read the specs carefully more $$ doesn't always mean a better unit.

Joel

Bruce Benson

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2012, 08:18:25 AM »
Quote from: Dick Simonis

I wonder if that would also work to get the little fold out wings.  It would be nice to upgrade mine to a thermometer and shelves.

Yes, there is a kit for the fold out wings.  I think I got mine off ebay but it may have been from a really good hardware store.  They are simple to add and are quite functional in my opinion.