Author Topic: AIR ONLY LEVELING--ONE MORE TIME  (Read 5532 times)

LEAH DRAPER

AIR ONLY LEVELING--ONE MORE TIME
« on: September 02, 2012, 07:24:09 PM »
Those with air leveling, do you dump your air AFTER putting slides out BEFORE you engage the auto-leveling feature?

Reason for question now is that I just came back from filling fuel and parked at my home (level parking spot) and I put out one slide I needed for loading and turned the refrig on in preparation for departure in next day.
I did not dump air bags (as is my practice), but after engaging the air leveling, the coach is really raised on the curb side and hard to enter without an added step.  

I know that the air bags are leaking on the curb side, (to be fixed) but they were fully aired-up after my trip to re-fuel.

Am puzzelled.
 Leah

Tim Westman

Re: AIR ONLY LEVELING--ONE MORE TIME
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 08:54:56 PM »
Hi Leah,

I do not level until I have my slides out if that is what you are asking.  Here is my reasoning.  First, that is what my directions say and, second, I was in a site that was very far from level, I put my slides out, opened  a basement bay door then leveled...once leveled, I couldn't close my basement door because of the torqued frame (not close!!!).  I sure wouldn't want to put slides in or out with a frame that severly torqued.  I'm sure this response will draw additional comments.  I hope this addresses your question.

Tim

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 09:38:26 PM »
Hi Leah, I agree with Tim this time, I also extend and retract the slides from the travel ride height then level with air or jacks.

If I use jacks I always get the air bags full then I bring in the slides and the Jacks up last.  
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 10:19:16 PM »
Leah,
The short version is slides out first and in last. That means that you should always extend and retract the slides when you are at travel height with the suspension aired up and the jacks retracted if used.

Gerald

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 11:44:06 PM »
I guess I didn't make my self very clear in the question.  I know the drill about when/how to put the slides in or out.  What I was trying to ask was AFTER putting the slides out while still at ride height level, IF you are going to dump the air bags (or should you) before engaging the auto air leveling system?? My coach DOESN'T HAVE JACKS.

Hopefully I came across clearer this time.

Normally I don't dump air bags, my experience today got me to thinking.

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 11:55:26 PM »
I have never dumped the air, just slides out, level
Mike Humble
2008 Contessa
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 02:37:14 AM »
Leah,
If you dump the air before leveling, your air leveling compressor will have to run an excessive amount of time to level the coach if it is very unlevel. Therefore it is not normally recommended to dump the air before leveling, however if the coach is fairly level and you want the coach lower for easier entrance and exit, it is acceptable to dump the air first before leveling.

Gerald

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 04:37:09 AM »
Gerald,
Thanks for that info.  I didn't know that.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 02:36:49 PM »
OK, finally got the picture.  It makes sense now.

Gerald and others thank you for your responses.

Leah

Sean Donohue

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 03:18:12 PM »
Leah, I follow the reommended slide first, level and then lower it with the all button, or raise if needed by using the all.