Author Topic: Cabinets in 2000 Marquis  (Read 6000 times)

John Burt

Cabinets in 2000 Marquis
« on: September 09, 2012, 06:59:32 PM »
Could someone give me some help on cleaning the outside of my cabinets.  The book says mild soap and water  but that doesn't seem to help.  Also they have a hazy look to some of them.  Is this from the sun?
Thank you
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 08:15:35 PM by 14 »

Edward Buker

Re: Cabinets in 2000 Marquis
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 07:55:42 PM »
John,

I think the hazy look is likely due to moisture absorbtion into the finish.  The changeover to water based finishes was not without its faults.  It could be sun damage, but it would have to make sense that the sun hits the area of the cabinets that you are having problems with.  There were years of Beaver coaches that had this problem, and I thought that it might be earlier than the year 2000, and by then this problem to a great extent was all worked out.  I usually run air conditioning some when I store the coach at home, along the gulf coast when it is warm and humid to prevent this problem, as well as not induce mold issues. Once the milky finish issue appears, as far as I know, there is no way to eliminate it.

These coaches have what is equivalent to fine furiture in the form of the interior woodwork, and how you would treat fine cabinets in your home, climate wise, would be a rational guide.  I have used some Johnson Pledge at times in the coach, but for the most part we just dust the surfaces from time to time with a lightly dampened cloth.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 08:19:12 PM by 14 »

Joel Weiss

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 08:35:05 PM »
I use Howard's finish restorer on my cabinets to deal with minor nicks and scratches.  It was recommended to me by a cabinet maker; he said that it penetrated the high gloss finish more effectively than stain and other touchup products.   I don't have any of the haze problem you are reporting so I can't provide first-hand experience with that issue.

Glenda Farris Co-Admin

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 10:33:20 PM »
We got some OZ polish from Gregg Fulton at RV Outfitters in Bend OR to clean the lacquer finish on our Marquis cabinets.  It's what he recommends.  If you need some, he will ship it to you.

Glenda   8)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 10:43:53 PM by 5 »

Richard Crane

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 07:17:25 PM »
John,

We had the same problem. My wife found Cabinet & Wood Magic at Home Depot. It has an orange lid. It's about $6. It works if the damage is only the haze on the surface.

Richard & Judie Crane
2000 Marquis Jasper C12