Author Topic: Girard Awning  (Read 16271 times)

Marty and Suzie Schenck

Re: Girard Awning
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 08:07:50 PM »
I have to speak up for Girard and their customer service. In 2005 we had an awning motor fail on our 98 Monterey out in the sand dunes on the Oregon coast. They sent us a new motor free of charge and would have installed it if we had been able to get to Eugene. We could not, so I installed it and then went into Eugene so they could adjust it. Not only did they adjust it, they also upgraded us to a remote control model for our inconvenience. In 2008 we had an awning arm break on our 2002 Thunder (again on the Oregon coast). Called Girard, asked if we could swing by Eugene. We did, awning arm replaced, no problem and no charge. Thats good customer service in my opinion. Marty

Dave Cunningham

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 08:38:09 PM »
I had to replace my sensor after a cup broke off awhile ago ( 2000 marquis) and got one from girard for $ 140, they shipped it real quick to Canada, installed it in a few minutes, it doesn't matter which wires go to which , by the way, then about a month later noticed that the vanes had blown off, so I called Girard and they said no problem and sent me a new one for free and even paid for the shipping to Canada. So I guess it depends who you talk to there

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2012, 08:40:29 PM »
At the risk of tempting fate.......my Girard Awning is a 20 ft model.  It is 13 years old nearly and it is all original.  
  I have the old style motor as well........I have bust one set of wind cups and use Davis Instruments wind cups  
 Buy the black ones ;they last longer;  carbon content  gives much  better  UV protection.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2012, 09:05:15 PM »
Quote from: Marty and Suzie Schenck
I have to speak up for Girard and their customer service. In 2005 we had an awning motor fail on our 98 Monterey out in the sand dunes on the Oregon coast. They sent us a new motor free of charge and would have installed it if we had been able to get to Eugene. We could not, so I installed it and then went into Eugene so they could adjust it. Not only did they adjust it, they also upgraded us to a remote control model for our inconvenience. In 2008 we had an awning arm break on our 2002 Thunder (again on the Oregon coast). Called Girard, asked if we could swing by Eugene. We did, awning arm replaced, no problem and no charge. Thats good customer service in my opinion. Marty

I didn't know Girard had an office in Eugene.  I've been assuming I had to go to CA to get service or new fabric.  I would appreciate contact information since I can't find anything on Google and the dealer locator on the Girard site doesn't provide anything for Eugene.

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2012, 09:17:51 PM »
Joel, At that time they had service techs in various places (states or cities) and Girard gave me a phone number to call. Each time I was in Oregon and each time the tech just asked where it would be convenient to meet near or in Eugene. I had the same tech both times. He had a full size van that had the Girard logo on the side. Marty

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2012, 10:50:15 PM »
Well I guess if I lived on the west coast maybe they would have treated me better.  Not trying to be smart but they spent a lot more on your situation than mine.  I replaced the anonometer less than two years ago so the cups could be replaced without buying the whole thing.  Now a new type and again I had to spend another $120.

I sent a picture of the cage I built to protect it and told them it had to be a defect yet they would do nothing.

I am glad others have had a great experience I simply have not. Again I said it is a good product but they need apparently to treat all customers the same east or west coast.

Just my experience and my opinion.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 12:49:14 AM »
Quote from: Marty and Suzie Schenck
Joel, At that time they had service techs in various places (states or cities) and Girard gave me a phone number to call. Each time I was in Oregon and each time the tech just asked where it would be convenient to meet near or in Eugene. I had the same tech both times. He had a full size van that had the Girard logo on the side. Marty

Thanks, I didn't know they had roving technicians.  Good thing to know.

Frank Hillis jr

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2012, 03:09:31 AM »
I had one of my cups break off several years ago.  I cannot  access the roof simply, so I blew on it from a ladder, and the awning closed ,as it had with the 3 cups. It has worked fine ever since, about 5 years.  I 'm not sure if its because it is well exposed to any wind just above entry door.  I'm not sure on your system, but after Girard techs had done some repairs on my previous Beaver Patriots patio awning, which included some wiring, they also blew air acoss the anamometer, to make sure it closed on high wind, rather than opening.  I'm not sure we're talking about the same wiring, but thats what they told me would happen if the wires were crossed, which would not be good.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 05:34:34 AM by 14 »

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 04:34:39 PM »
Update!

Called this morning and spoke with Major the general manager for Girard.  He was quite concerned with my issue and treatment.

I will receiving a credit for my purchase.  He did the right thing in my mind.

It took longer than I expected but it did get done!  

Girard has restored my faith in their company and the fact the will stand behind their products.