Author Topic: Route Planning  (Read 9456 times)

Keith Oliver

Route Planning
« on: September 27, 2012, 02:25:24 AM »
On Oct 25th, we plan to head south from Coquitlam BC, to El Centro California.  To alleviate boredom, we want to get off of I-5, so are looking at the following route:  I-5 to Portland or Salem, then over the hill to Bend, spend the night there.  97 to Klamath Falls, 139 to Carson city Nevada, spend the night in the vicinity, or south of CC.  395 to I-15, then Freeways to El Centro.
Some, or most, of the 139 and 395 is at high elevation.
Has anyone any first hand accounts of traveling this route at that time of year?  Is there likely to be any snow?  How is the road?  Is there anywhere to spend the night, south of Carson City?

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Route Planning
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 05:14:40 AM »
Snow usually comes to the High Desert in November, but is a possibility in October.  Metro Portland has few RV parks, except for one sizeable one in Troutdale to the east.  Some RV parks line I-5 in Southwest Washington.  There are good options in the Willamette Valley north of Salem, especially State Parks, but in all cases check in advance for seasonal closures.  

Staying at Troutdale gives you the option of heading over Mt. Hood's south corridor, Hwy 26, to Bend - and it gets you off I-5 sooner;  hit I-205 southbound north of Vancouver to work your way to Troutdale.  Or you might get on Washington Hwy 14 for a drive up the Columbia River's north shore to Maryhill, where there is a great state park on the river, then the next day cross the bridge there toward Bend.  

You could also go east to Hood River on I-84 and take Hwy 35 over the east side of Mt. Hood to 26 and to Bend, or hit Hwy 97 at the Dalles.  I used to go the Salem route to Bend regularly, mostly because I enjoy the Metolius River at Camp Sherman, east of Sisters, enroute.  But since I live close to it, I hit Highway 26 over Mt. Hood these days, to avoid the freeway altogether.  All roads mentioned are good and the scenery enjoyable, especially in the fall, and will appease your quest to get off I-5.

I'll let others speak to the south half of your route.  We may cross your path in Bend as we head home from our summer-long voyage.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Mandy Canales

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 07:51:43 AM »
There are several nice campgrounds south of Carson City.  One is in Lee Vining right next to 395 but it is sort of small in the number of lots.  Another is in Bishop, CA called Brown's Town Campground and is rated quite high.  The one we stayed at in Lone Pine, CA is called Boulder Creek Campground and is quite nice.  Several of our Beaver friends have stayed there always when they travel on 395.
If you are on your way to El Centro you might consider coming over to Indio in January for the Western Area FMCA rally and our BAC lobster boil and security duties at the fairgrounds.  Also, consider the Quartzsite "Extravaganza" after the Indio event.  Both are fun rallies.  Check out the promos in the current issue of Beaver Tales.[size=14][/size] 8)
Mandy Canales
90 Beaver Marquis 40'
Cat 3208
Charter Member
Apple Valley, CA

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 07:29:08 PM »
An Edmonton area fellow we met in Banff National Park, driving an older Monterey, was asking us about the BAC, and I gave him some contact information and encouraged him to follow through.  He was telling us about Lone Pine, CA, also, and it was one of his favorite places to winter.  Apparently he can get off the beaten path somewhere around there, and his costs are minimal.  He never spends much on RV parks, so I doubt he frequents Boulder Creek Resort at $40+tax.  I recall him mentioning sojourns into Death Valley, so I imagine he found desert camping between there and Lone Pine.

Joel
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 11:07:54 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 09:36:22 PM »
Hi if your looking for a great stop in Troutdale give this one a try we have stay here 4/5 times during the last 2 years http://sandyrv.com/ it's off exit 17 if your heading east they have a mini out let mall in walking distance. Some great shops and food ++ a martini bar!
you will be in great shape from here for a Goverment camp crossing heading to Bend plus its the short route.  The route you going is great but watch for an early snow, you can cut over at Klamath falls(on 97 to weed)  westward back to I-5 its a good route at grass lake is a nice small parking area.

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

steve zannella

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 10:21:45 PM »
Check the weather before Nevada / California border several summit passes of 7000 to 8200 feet
on 395 in CA.

Mike Merchant

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 07:29:53 PM »
Keith,

Just south of Lone Pine on 395 is Red Rocks State Park, I've mentioned in previous posts. Super place for sunrise coffee sitting up in the rocks above your rig and for evening happy hour sitting out in the flat under a Joshua tree watching the sun go down. Our previous 40'er had no problem negotiating the campground road but we always reconned it with the toad.

Keith Oliver

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 03:13:12 AM »
All planned up!  Turns out the route down 395 will add 3 hours (over the 3 days) to the I-5 route.  That will give us 3 days of 8 to 9 hours driving, on roads that will no doubt be much more interesting than the oft traveled freeway.
We plan to spend night 1 at a Harvest Host stop in Bend, night 2 at a CG near Colville Ca, arriving at the destination CG for night 3.

Steve Adams

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 07:12:01 AM »
Keith,

I would not recommend Hwy 26 over Mt Hood. We drove up that way in May and lost a hubcap on the coach, broke some glass in one of the cabinets, a drawer jumped out onto the floor, well, you get the idea.

If you plan to go to Salem then over to Bend through Detroit Lake and Sisters, enjoy the trip. The road is in great shape and should be relatively clear. Remember that there is a mountain pass you will cross so be careful.

Steve

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 09:07:34 PM »
Wow.  We just went over Mt. Hood on Hwy 26 April 30th, and didn't note any such bad pavement, Steve;  but I was a bit distracted (see below).  Since it's a shorter route for us from the Happy Valley area, we usually go over the mountain to Bend.  I only go Salem/Detroit if I plan on fishing the Metolius at Camp Sherman for an evening.  True, it is a good route.  But the scenery and road over Mt. Hood and into the high desert is enjoyable as well, with few bad pavement sections that we've noted.

Your mention of Hwy 26 over Mt. Hood reminded me of my intent to post our tale of April 30th, and I'll do that now in a seperate thread, so this one stays on Keith's subject.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Keith Oliver

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 10:54:15 PM »
Steve:

Thanks for the road report.  We drove that part of the route last year and enjoyed it so much we promised ourselves to do it again.  Will watch for deteriorating road surface though.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 11:06:51 PM »
Keith,
another reason to try the Hood River route - the fruit harvest.  Along the northernmost stretch of Hwy 35, you will find countless opportunities to benefit from this time of year.  It's easy to get off I-5 at I-205 and then hit I-84 East after crossing the Columbia, which will drop you readily onto Hwy 35 at Hood River, or 97 at the Dalles.  Or as I suggested, get off I-205 on the Washington side and take Washington 14 east to 97.

Sounds like a long first-day drive though... not much time to be stopping for any length of time.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat