Author Topic: winterizing with Aqua Hot  (Read 31826 times)

Bill Jourdain

Re: winterizing with Aqua Hot
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2012, 08:01:47 PM »
Just had the annual service done on my Hydro Hot.  Not sure how long it had been since his was last done (I bought the coach in July), but it has been at least several years.  They discovered a cracked and leaking combustion chamber that was replaced and all seems to be working well now.  Before this service the system was sporadic when using the diesel burner.
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Sean Donohue

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2012, 08:16:18 PM »
Thanks Bill for the report on the lesser evils of the antifreeze... I just prefer to not use it if I don't have to, but I do pump it into the Aquahot as mentioned. As for the mixers that use the stuff, I like mine neat or maybe some ice...

Really, thanks for the report... I am sure it clears the air.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2012, 08:56:22 PM »
All,
The Aqua Hot web site has a full complement of downloadable manuals (Operating, Service, Parts). I found the service manual very helpful when performing annual maintenance on mine and replacing the nozzle, etc.
Steve
http://www.aquahot.com/Library.aspx
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2012, 09:03:30 PM »
Stan, it takes awhile for the AquaHot electric element to heat up the exchanger, and it isn't as good at dealing with much demand as the diesel burner is.  You have to be patient and allow the electric time to heat before hitting the thermostat, and on 30 amp power, with no other appliance on, you shouldn't need the generator;  even after you turn on the thermostat, the element has to work hard exchanging heat with pumped fluid.  The better move is simply hitting the more efficient diesel burner switch to get things heated right away.  The electric element by itself is more for maintenance of heat level, not building it up quickly.  And if you notice, if you draw any hot water while your floor heaters are running, they will stop.  Hot water has the priority for hydronic energy, not space heating.

For overnight, our electric element is adequate for maintaining 60 degrees or less, even on 20 amp power sources (as long as you don't have some other heavy draw on), but in the morning I often have to kick in the diesel burner for quicker warm up.  You can always use your roof air's heat pump overnight, but it takes some juice.  If you are in a very cold climate, the electric element likely won't be enough by itself to maintain your interior.

Sometimes you just have to burn some fuel.  But as an alternative, when on adequate park power, we use a little box heater to augment the coach system, and it can easily be placed anywhere we want the most heat.  Though just as noisy as the AquaHot exchangers, it can by itself maintain at 60 degrees overnight.  And for sleeping, whether furnace, box heater, or heat pump, they all make noise so we keep it only in the front of the coach.

Joel
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 09:14:42 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Sprague

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2012, 10:09:12 PM »
Quote from: Sean Donohue
Thanks Bill for the report on the lesser evils of the antifreeze... I just prefer to not use it if I don't have to, but I do pump it into the Aquahot as mentioned. As for the mixers that use the stuff, I like mine neat or maybe some ice...

Really, thanks for the report... I am sure it clears the air.
I had fun looking it up and tried to make it a humorous!  

I like it neat too.  Somewhere I read that the history of cocktails is about mixers that can hide the taste of Prohibition era bad booze.  Further, the people that make liquor, especially the brown ones, work hard at keeping in flavors you don't want hidden.  On the other hand, I'm sure there are people that insist the bourbon in their diet 7-Up is Maker's Mark.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2012, 10:18:13 PM »
Quote from: Joel Ashley
......  But as an alternative, when on adequate park power, we use a little box heater to augment the coach system, and it can easily be placed anywhere we want the most heat.  Though just as noisy as the AquaHot exchangers, it can by itself maintain at 60 degrees overnight.  .......

Joel,

I use one similar to this:  http://www.amazon.com/Lasko-5624-Profile-Silent-Heater/dp/B002Q4EYEQ/ref=pd_sbs_hg_5.  I bought it at an Ace Hardware.  It is silent.  On low it draws about 8 amps and provides most of our heat until it gets real cold.  

Sean Donohue

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2012, 11:31:18 PM »
@ Bill and Joel.... Clink... Cheers

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2012, 01:30:17 AM »
No, I started the generator. But I'm checking the inverter/charger to make sure the settings are correct.

Thanks.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2012, 05:59:38 AM »
On your Magnum panel, Stan, press the "Shore" button, then rotate the large black knob to the amp setting to match your incoming power, and press the knob in to select that setting (which many forget to do).

Thanks for the link to the quiet heater, Bill.  I may consider it, but it's not as adjustable or as small as our forced air box.  Radiant heat has advantages, especially if it's pointed at you, and my wife would enjoy that;  but the noisy fan in our 5"X5"X6" Big Heat pushes heat to other areas, so I leave it on low in the coach entryway all night, pointed offset down the coach middle.  Strategic placement behind a front seat helps mute some noise as it cycles on and off, minimizing sleep disturbance.

Joel
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 06:15:30 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2012, 11:20:05 PM »
Thanks to all who posted tips and instructions. I went and bought 4 gallons of pink stuff...and a 1/2 in female connection as outlined above. I found the water pump behind the wall in the bay to left of the wet bay. I have a slide out in there, but its a pull through on both sides, so I pulled it out on the other side of the coach, and that gave me room to open the door that accessed the water pump, ice maker filter, and another low point drain. I disconnected the water line from the water pump and screwed on the adapter, after cleaning the little filter on the pump. I put three gallons of pink stuff in a plastic 5 gallon bucket and connected a 4 foot hose to the pump. I stuck the hose in the bucket and Becky turned on the water in the coach, along with the water pump. It sucked the pink stuff in to all of the water lines. We turned all of the cold faucets on until the water ran pink, and then the hot in each one until they ran hot and pink. I dumped pink stuff in every drain, cycled the ice maker, and then put 2 cups of pink stuff in the drum of the WD and ran the spin cycle.

I'm pretty sure we're all winterized. Time spent 2 hours, with breaks to watch college football on the TV in the coach. Total cost, $14.00 including the 1/2 in adapter which is re-usable.

All good. Thanks all!!

Stan
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2012, 04:24:43 AM »
Good job Dude!  I'm not sure you needed the AquaHot actually on, though, to move the fluid through to the hot water outlets and fill the AquaHot exchanger.

But now you can relax, with confidence your rig is protected.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2012, 05:00:08 AM »
Joel,

Yes, I had the Aqua Hot on, running the generator and had it plugged in.

Stan
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Bill Jourdain

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2012, 05:17:24 PM »
Quote from: Bill Sprague
The last tricky spot is the city inlet.  You push on a spot in the middle and, if the pump is on, a little pink non toxic anti freeze will squirt out.  If you stand in the right place, none will get on you.  If not, it is not toxic and wipes off.  

This is only a two beer job and can potentially save you $8000!

I've spent the morning wnterizing.  I connected a hose to the pump intake and have pink antifreeze flowing at all hot and cold points inside the coach.  The problem is that I can't seem to get a back flow of antifreeze from the city inlet as described in the quote above.  Short of using a hand pump at the city inlet is there a better way to handle winterizing this?  

Thanks

Bill Jourdain

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2012, 05:37:05 PM »
Quote from: Bill Jourdain

I've spent the morning wnterizing.  I connected a hose to the pump intake and have pink antifreeze flowing at all hot and cold points inside the coach.  The problem is that I can't seem to get a back flow of antifreeze from the city inlet as described in the quote above.  Short of using a hand pump at the city inlet is there a better way to handle winterizing this?  

Thanks

He's a photo of my efforts.  My concern is the city water intake and the pipe show at the top of this photo that still has water in it.  It is also flowing a little water into the filter that has been removed in this photo for the connection of the tube that is in the bucket.  Will forcing antifreeze into the city inlet with a pump also force antifreeze into this pipe and the pump filter?

Edward Buker

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2012, 05:56:10 PM »
With a hose adapter fitting coupled in on the output side of the pump, you can attach a hose and use the coach water pump to push anti freeze into the city water inlet. With a clamp or a valve temporarily block off the water feed from the output side of the pump that feeds the coach. Open just one cold water faucet that is close to the city water feed, maybe the kitchen sink would be good. Some antifreeze, followed by a shot of clear water should be followed by the antifreeze that is feeding the water pump. When you see that it should be done.

The other option is to unscrew the city water feed from the panel and loosen the clamp on the hose and pull the hose enough to allow flow. Using the coach pump allow some antifreeze to purge out....Whichever one of these methods is easier for your particular coach, either will work. I would doubt that you would get a problem if you did not do one of these procedures but it is good to not worry about it......

Later Ed