Author Topic: Procedures in putting coach on winter storage  (Read 17558 times)

marty christensen

Re: Procedures in putting coach on winter storage
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 03:06:14 PM »
As far as your batteries go, I use battery tenders in storage.  I put one tender on the chassis batteries and one tender on the coach batteries.  That way the all batteries are maintained and not overcharged as the inverter/charger tends to do.  You can purchase the tenders at Walmart ot any auto parts store.  They run $26 to $50 each and charge at a rate of 1 to 2 amps.  The only requirement is your batteries must be at full charge when you connect the tenders as tenders are not chargers only maintainers.

Marty Christensen
Contessa, 08, 400HP

Richard Cooper

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 07:47:48 AM »
Quote from: Steve Jewell
Use a dehumidifier inside the coach. This will keep moisture out of coach and the heat from the humidifier will keep it somewhat warm. You can put a short hose on dehumidifier and drain water into shower. That way it will just keep running. Now the batteries if it were me I would disconnect them if I was going to store it for 3 months.

Steve Jewell

What kind or size of dehumidifier do I need to get?  Here's a list of them on Amazon for reference.  Please mention a few that would be work well.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dehumidifier&sprefix=de%2Caps%2C262

Bill Sprague

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 04:57:58 PM »
Quote from: Richard Cooper
What kind or size of dehumidifier do I need to get?  Here's a list of them on Amazon for reference.  Please mention a few that would be work well.

I use this one:  http://www.amazon.com/Soleus-Air-DP1-30-03-Dehumidifier-Humidistat/dp/B001B7G2D0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1352738869&sr=8-3&keywords=soleus+dehumidifier

We use it a lot.  It stays in a corner in the bedroom.  Whenever it's damp or rainy (normal in the Pacific Northwest) we run it.  Our windows stay clear and dry when campground neighbors appear to be living in a steam bath.  

For winter storage, it seems to be important that there is a low temperature operating ability.  This one goes down to 41 degrees.  I leave the HydorHot on electric and set the thermostats to 50 degrees.

Many dehumidifiers are made for hot, muggy climates and don't work at the temperature I have for winter storage.

There are other uses.  We drove through a few hours of heavy rain a couple weeks ago.  With all the doors in the basement, one leaked.  The basement was pretty wet.  I set up the dehumidifier and checked it daily.  The bucket filled the times.  It took four days, but it is now dry.  It was not practical to leave the doors open in commercial storage.  

I ruined a dehumidifier by keeping it in a convenient storage place on its back.  Apparently water dripped on the circuit board.  When I replaced it I read the instructions where it said to never lay it down.