Author Topic: Transmission overheating  (Read 57453 times)

Paul Schwalen

Re: Transmission overheating
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2012, 07:26:51 PM »
Our coach is a 03 Contessa with side radiator and Cummins ISL.  After reading Gerald's post saying that all Beavers have a liquid to liquid cooler for the transmission I crawled under to have a look and was looking for the cylindrical cooler that failed in Tim's coach. What I found was a tall rectangular cooler housing about 5 X 5 inches square and about the height of the Cummins radiator. This box has 2 lines from the Allison attached to it and a large hose that returns to the Cummins.  It is mounted adjacent to the forward edge of the Cummins radiator and is about the same height and depth.

If this is the Allison cooler does anyone else have this cooler arrangement and have any failures been had?

Any thoughts?

Paul

Andy Clark

• BAC Member
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2012, 08:57:52 PM »
Paul, we also have a Cummins (8.3C) in our '95 Patriot with a similar type of trans cooler to the one in your photo. I believe that this thread discussion relates to the coolers used only with the CAT C-12/Allison drivetrain, which are different from the ones used with Cummins engines.

We have had no failures or leaks in 60K miles (so far, so good!!!).

HTH.

Andy
Andy Clark
1995 Patriot 37
300HP Cummings 6CTA8.3
Camano Island WA

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2012, 10:13:51 PM »
Andy,

Thanks for the info.  I did not realize the thread was for the Cat C-12's only.

We are presently at 80,000+ miles and the only significant failure was the charge air cooler about 3 years ago.

Paul

Gerald Farris

« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2012, 12:37:47 AM »
Paul,
Technically this thread is about all coaches, however since different models use different coolers, and the cooler that failed was on a C-12 equipped coach, Ed has started a database to try to determine if there is a predictable life expectancy for this particular configuration.

The part that you described in your previous question, sounds like your transmission cooler. The problem with a transmission cooler failure is that you will not know it until your transmission is damaged because the leak will be internal to the cooler. The internal cooler leak will allow coolant (50% water and 50% antifreeze) to enter the transmission, and any water in the transmission fluid will cause permanent damage quickly because the adhesive that is used for the clutch material is not waterproof.

Gerald    

George Harwell

« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2012, 03:52:27 PM »
Attached is a photo of my 03 Monterey with 350 cummins and rear radiator. It was delivered by Beaver  Coach with an air/liquid transmission cooler that has only transmission fluid flowing through it. There is no engine coolant involved with this cooler. The 350 cummins in my coach  has a direct drive fan therefore air is flowing through the radiator and transmission cooler anytime the engine is running. Monaco switched to this stand alone cooler after losing millions of dollars in the late 90,s to faulty radiators that destroyed the transmissions. The cooler is mounted on the top right side of the radiator with the charge air cooler being above the radiator. It is about 21 inches wide and 12 inched tall.

Edward Buker

« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2012, 03:53:52 PM »
I have the following inputs so far. Glen Perkins, Jeramy Parrett, Les Marzec, Marty Shenck, Garland Land, Phil Rodriguez, Larry Shirk, Richard Simonis, Gerald Farris, Tim Bently, Joel Weiss, and myself. If you have sent me an Email  ( ednjillb@hotmail.com ) and I have missed it please resend it. My filters did over filter in some cases, and I am now watching closer for that.

If anyone knows of anyone else that has a coach with a C12 and Allison 4000 in it, and they are not included in the above list, see if you can gather the year, miles, and if they have had a cooler fail info for us and pass it along to me. Of particular interest is the data for anyone else who has had a cooler fail. If you think that there may be another owner out there that we could seek that information from let me know the contact info if you have it.  

Thanks Ed

Mary Collins

• BAC Member
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2013, 02:31:54 PM »
We had a radiator failure in our 2003 Thunder. The problem was that an internal partition broke, allowing engine coolant and Transynd to mix. The fix was to replace the radiator and rebuild the transmission. Cost was $18,591.99. Monaco extended care paid all but $2,815.53. The breakdown occurred in August 2008, mileage on coach was 65055. It took almost 6 weeks to complete repairs because of the inspections required by Monaco extended care. Should I mention the 3 thousand dollar damage done by the tow truck?

Mike
Mike and Mary Collins<br />02 Marquis Amethyst<br />

Edward Buker

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2013, 06:49:20 AM »
Just to recap on the transmisson cooler failure that Tim experienced, this is where we were with input from Dave Wheatley at Rocore..... skip the next four paragraphs if you have a good memory and are still up to speed on this...

These coolers have two primary failure modes that can occur. Corrosion is one possibility. I indicated that most of us use ELC coolant and Transynd and he said that we are using the latest state of the art chemistry with very low corrosion rates, so lets consider that one a non issue. If you are using the non ELC coolant check your PH and keep it optimized with additives.

The second failure mode is thermal fatigue causing a crack. On start up the engine coolant and transmission coolant rise at different rates and as the thermostat opens and closes there is some thermal shock that is involved. The tubes must expand and contract from ambient to maybe the 220 degree range of fluids and that stresses the tube bundle. If you have a retarder, and luckily we do not, that adds an increase component of stress due to higher temperature excursions. So we have the temperature excursions of normal travel and those due to desert travel and mountain pass climbing, again all individual driving habits and travel patterns. Prediction of useful life is hard but he was clearly concerned about a tube crack due to thermal fatigue in the shell at some point. The life of the unit depends on your use and probably the best guidance we could get would be data from failures in multiple coaches (Tim has one data point). If anyone knows mileage and age of several more we may be able to use that info to come up with some logical mileage and age value to guide us. This all assumes that we do not have an early fail due to a defect in the cooler build and I would guess that we are all pretty much beyond that at this stage.

There is a better cooler design that has evolved to eliminate the thermal fatigue fail that he would recommend. There is a floating bundle design and he thought that if that design was used, he was comfortable that in our application it would last the life of the coach given that corrosion was not an issue and that the floating bundle design does not suffer the thermal fatigue failure mode. The bundle expands and contracts without restriction.

The issue is that there is not an exact bolt in conversion. He will provide us recommendations along with drawings and insight into the differences that would have to be allowed for in a conversion. They are not that major but fittings and mounting may have to have some alteration. He indicated that the thermal performance would be equal to or better for this cooler over the 1249T design. He would get to this when he returns after the 1st of the year and I will pass the info along. Maybe Gerald or anyone else into the mechanics of these things could offer up an opinion as to what would be needed to physically change over and not worry about this issue again.  We will take our time and see if some logical path evolves...

New News...
First regarding the database of mileage vs failure, we basically have about 15 coaches ranging in mileage from 32k to 223k miles. Tim has had the single failure with the exception of several coaches that I did not include in our database, which had the transmission cooler built into the main radiator assembly. That design was prone to failure at a higher rate and fewer miles than the 1249T.

Usually in this kind of situation when you are life testing for wearout, you would thermal cycle assemblies beyond the normal use to accelerate the failure until you reached what is known as the T50 point which is where half the units in the sample test have failed. Then you would model the useful life to assure that either the unit lasts beyond the normal use lifetime or define when you would replace a unit before it would fail. We do not have that kind of  data and with the information in our database having just one fail at 140k miles,  what we can predict and conclude is limited. It would be in each of our best interests to make a personal decision regarding how conservative you would want to be regarding this issue. I think being conservative would mean changing your cooler unit out before the first known fail would have occured, maybe considering cooler change in the 120K mile range. There are just three coaches in our database beyond the 140K miles where Tim had his fail, one at 145k, one at 151k, and Lamar at 223K miles. Obviously units can last longer than Tim's did, they will not all fail at the same time but the way things work with fatigue and cracking is the more times you heat and cool the cooler the closer you are to when it will fail. In time we may see a cooler fail earlier than Tim's did, but until we see that, the 120K miles seems like a reasonable approach as to when you would consider your options. If the failure was not such an expensive and difficult situation to deal with we would not be taking such a hard look at this. So that is my own personal perspective on this cooler issue for now...

Dave Wheatley at Rocore has been dealing with some health issues so things have gone slower than expected. I did get the drawings of the current cooler design for the 1249T which I have attached. Dave was to also research alternatives that use the floating bundle design which is allowed to expand and contract without the metal stress issue and therefor is not prone to this failure mode. The issue we would have had to deal with a change in configuration in a tight space.

Dave and I dicussed Rocore making a floating bundle drop in replacement for the 1249T and I am pleased to report that they had drawings for that unit and he got permission to have that unit become an active design. I do not have price and availability information yet but I will pass that info along when I get it. If you consider changing out your cooler this would be the more reliable design.

Hope this all helps along the way in preventing someone else from having to go through what Tim did. Sorry this got so long...

Later Ed
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 02:46:30 PM by 910 »

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2013, 03:14:35 PM »
Thank you Ed for the time and effort you have put into compiling the data and the research for a possible good outcome.
Marty

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2013, 03:58:54 PM »
Just to let everyone know that the ROCORE 3-1249T cooler is also installed with 3126 Cat engines on the Magnum chassis.  I have one of those units on my 2002 Patriot...  With this concern about failure, I am trying to find another heat-exhanger for replacing the ROCORE unit.  Ed Buker and I just spoke at lenght on the phone about this issue.  Will keep everyone posted on our findings.  I should note, the ROCORE cooler may not be as prone to failure in the 3126 application because of not see the extreme heat cycle that people see w/C12s.
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2013, 04:51:51 PM »
Karl,
Is yours a side or rear mount radiator?
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2013, 06:17:08 PM »
Steve,

It is a rear mount radiator.
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Edward Buker

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2013, 12:54:16 AM »
I know that folks are concerned about the cooler issue and I want to be sure that we all take our time here. I saw nothing in the data that would indicate what I would call an emergency issue on anyones part, where a cooler change is needed immediately.

The expense of a fail is of great concern but I think what we are looking for is a drop in design that is a best of breed cooler that eliminates the root cause of the stress crack fail in the current design. Getting this right in the end will serve us best. I hope to have more info from Rocore next week on the alternative design. If there are other good designs that will work as a replacement for a 1249T and someone is out looking keep us informed...

Later Ed

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2013, 02:03:02 AM »
Karl, C12 drivers,
I'm a bit confused re engine / tranny temps. Under normal conditions I was under the impression the side radiator units, including C12s would run cooler and maintain a more consistent temperature than a rear radiator unit. E.G. my rear radiator 3126B runs about 194 engine temp when ambient temps are <85 and I'm not pulling a hill. If I start climbing or ambients get to 95+, engine temps start climbing. On a long hill in the summer, I'll run up to 205-212, even when keeping rpm up to 2000. Tranny temps lag engine temps be a few degrees normally. As soon as I am able to unload the engine, temps drop down to the mid 190s. So, I think I see quite a bit temperature variation, due to both the marginal power to weight ratio and the less than effective air flow into the radiator. BTW, I've got 125K miles on it and am not running ELC or Transynd. (Plan to change both over at next service interval).
Do C12s see these temps and or variations?
Thx, Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2013, 02:39:52 AM »
Steve,
C-12 equipped coaches rarely have that much operating temperature change. The side radiators cool more effectively than the rear radiators do, and the engine rarely needs to operate at full power so the engine operating temperature on a C-12 normally stays around 185 to 190.

Gerald